Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cheap electricity at night

Started by dpatte, November 07, 2005, 01:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

MAYBE THIS IS A LOUNGE TOPIC, BUT...

i just read that the Ontario government intends to charge us different rates for electricity depending on what time of day we use it.

Has anyone ever tried to calculate how many amps of electricity they draw on an hour per hour chart?

Except for lighting, most of use would use more electricity at night for our tanks than during the day (heaters go on more at night when your house is cool). so maybe Mr McGuinty's plan will save us money overall.

Any ideas on this?

Julie

David, they have to install the new meters, so this isn't in the imminent future- there will be some pilot projects around though.

Marc

Actually the pilot project results are now in and Ontario is planning to have the new meters on all homes by 2010.

(Source: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/11/04/1292478-cp.html )

I have to admit that this concerns me a bit.

In my household tank heaters work a lot during the day as well as at night since the thermostat is set lower at both those times..  Maybe it would be cheaper to have the furnace keep the house warmer so the heaters don`t work so hard.

Also tank lights are on during the late afternoon and early evening when electricity will be more expensive. :(

Julie

We'll all be cooking and doing our laundry in the middle of the night to save money  :wink: for our tanks.

Julie

TBarb

They "say" we'll save money however, they are going to jack up the prices during the evening or peak hours (with the new capabilites of the new electronic meters in 2010). Honestly, how does this help us when everyone is coming home after a long day at work, and are hungry. Are we going to wait till 9pm to eat and turn on the lights? Give me a break. out of neccessity we will be charged more. !!!???

If anyone wants a cheap meter reader, Canadian Tire sells them for about $30 I think. It looks like the electronic timers that many of us use here but it displays the amount of electricity being used and if you program the cost per killowatt, it will tell you how much it is costing you. You basically plug it into the wall then plug in your equipment.

Julie

David:  Here's an idea - go up to the Pagan with either a big hook or saw, and make sure you don't smoke when you cross that red bridge.

Julie

Mettle

2010, huh?

I doubt I'll be living in Ontario by then. :D

darkdep

Honestly guys, the government is not to blame here.  Ontario, and the world, is approaching a rediculous energy crisis; one that IMHO will alter society like nothing before.  Any attempt at disbelief of this is rather pointless, if you look at the data.

Ontario, now, is rather energy strapped already.  And it's no wonder...I see so many useless energy-wasting and energy-inefficient devices being sold nowadays that I think we, as a society, deserve high power prices.

Moving to a system where the KW/hour charge varies based on time of day will not save you any money.  It's not possible...we're being charged less than the generation cost now.  However, it will give you the option, should you choose to be more energy conscious, to alter your habits in an attempt to lower your power prices (personal incentive) and to ease the burden on the power grid (societal incentive).

I'm sure we're going to see ALL provinces, states, and countries moving to this kind of system quicker than we can imagine.  If I had the option, I'd go sign up for a smart meter today.

And peak usage is generally during the day, not during the evening.  

Convincing the government to make power cheaper is not going to be effective...they just can't do it.  Demanding more power efficient devices and speaking with our wallets will be effective.

Next time you're buying a water pump, ask about the power consumption.  Buy the one that uses 15w rather than the one that uses 20w.  Adopting that attitude really adds up...

AdamR

All of you with MTS could seek professional help and get down to 1 tank.   :wink:

Julie

Adam:  are you offering some?  8)

Julie

Marc

Quote from: "darkdep"Honestly guys, the government is not to blame here.  Ontario, and the world, is approaching a rediculous energy crisis; one that IMHO will alter society like nothing before.  Any attempt at disbelief of this is rather pointless, if you look at the data.

Ontario, now, is rather energy strapped already.  And it's no wonder...I see so many useless energy-wasting and energy-inefficient devices being sold nowadays that I think we, as a society, deserve high power prices.

Moving to a system where the KW/hour charge varies based on time of day will not save you any money.  It's not possible...we're being charged less than the generation cost now.  However, it will give you the option, should you choose to be more energy conscious, to alter your habits in an attempt to lower your power prices (personal incentive) and to ease the burden on the power grid (societal incentive).

I'm sure we're going to see ALL provinces, states, and countries moving to this kind of system quicker than we can imagine.  If I had the option, I'd go sign up for a smart meter today.

And peak usage is generally during the day, not during the evening.  

Convincing the government to make power cheaper is not going to be effective...they just can't do it.  Demanding more power efficient devices and speaking with our wallets will be effective.

Next time you're buying a water pump, ask about the power consumption.  Buy the one that uses 15w rather than the one that uses 20w.  Adopting that attitude really adds up...

I completely agree.  Encouraging conservation is good.  The "smart" meters are working already by making me worry about my pocket book and this leads to energy conservation.

Two issues though.

1.  Ontario should have more power generation so that we don't have to worry about shortages.  Hoping that conservation will be enough to  overcome shortages is unrealistic especially when one factors in population growth.  A stable power supply is also very important in attracting companies/jobs to Ontario.

2.  We should be paying the full cost of the power we use.  In the past the government allowed Ontario Hydro to run a massive deficit and we`re paying now for the electricity used by our parents.  However it may be necessary to have some type of subvention program to help those on low incomes pay for a reasonable amount of electricity.  That means those of us with a bit more money will have to pay more either directly on our electricity bill or through taxes.  I hate the thought of paying more but I don't want anybody out in the cold either.

dpatte

i did notice the incongruity of my two posts - one on saving electricity and the other on running a tank outside during the winter :)

darkdep

dpatte:  :lol:

Marc, on your thoughts...#1 is obviously an important point, but due to our lazy, wasteful nature as a society we are using up power much quicker than we can produce it.  The government has just spent money to refubish reactors at the Bruce Nuclear facility, alas the work won't be complete for some long period of time (10 years?  I can't remember).  

Population growth, in general, is a huge piece of the problem, IMHO, also.

I also agree with #2.  But that one will never get general approval, unfortunately.  The green people are a sad minority.

damarech

lower rates  will be applied on weekend also

AdamR

Julie:  Sorry no free tanks here, I am about to setup a new 10g though.  I will have a 29g complete setup available early next year but only because I am getting a new sw in the 120-150g range.  :D

TBarb

Quote from: "damarech"lower rates  will be applied on weekend also

I wouldn't say 'lower rates' on weekends - more like current or more probably increased and peak periods even more. No such thing as "lower" when you are talking about utilities and taxes.

gvv

Quote from: "Marc"...
1.  Ontario should have more power generation so that we don't have to worry about shortages.  Hoping that conservation will be enough to  overcome shortages is unrealistic especially when one factors in population growth.  A stable power supply is also very important in attracting companies/jobs to Ontario.
Agree!
If I'm paying for services, like power, phone, etc., I want to be sure I'm getting it as I require. I don't want to pay Hydro and at the same time fill my basement with batteries for the power shortage case. I should say more: if I'm paying I would like them to pay for any shortages. Only in this case it will be fair.
Unfortunatly it will never happen and we have to pay for services and shortages  :evil:
And about cheap electricity at night. Free cheese can only be in a mousetrap...

Nerine

maybe it's high time we went solar :P I haven't used heaters in ages...I just hike the heat in the house...though I know everyone can't do that. even that will become a problem someday when gas is too expensive!
cheap electricty at night sounds almost like a scam....I think we all might turn into graveyard shift people if something like that happens :P all the lights will be on and people will be doing laundry and cooking...therefore using MORE energy with having extra lights on etc. someday we'll have free energy ;) maybe...one can hope and wish
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Iceman

Quote from: "Marc"I have to admit that this concerns me a bit.

In my household tank heaters work a lot during the day as well as at night since the thermostat is set lower at both those times..  Maybe it would be cheaper to have the furnace keep the house warmer so the heaters don`t work so hard.

While I doubt your furnace would be cheaper to run than some water heaters, your thoughts makes me ponder.

I would say that the majority of homes sit empty during the peak daytime hours. No TVs, ovens, dryers, stereos, so on and so forth. I would also say that overnight the same rule applies, although the homes are not empty. You keep your furnace turned down at times when you are sleeping or not home for extended periods.

The average person would use most of the energy between say 5 and 10 in the evening. We can't change our schedules to really accomodate the use of off peak rates. Sure we can conserve where possible, but you will be paying more for the majority of your household energy use. I can't see these smart meters saving anything for the average residential consumer.

However, why don't they nail places like Bayshore Shopping Centre and so on, who have 50 billion watts in lighting alone on each hour they are open. But as usual, the government goes after you and me, who have no power to fight back. :evil: