Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reccomendations for a HOB skimmer

Started by dnas17, October 14, 2012, 09:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

Looking for any suggestions for a HOB skimmer. I have a 75 gallon tank and I just started to add corals in and I would like a skimmer. I need a HOB one. I want some recommendations for one. Preferably a little smaller (can fit behind my tank about 5-6 inches space) and quiet is essential. Anyone got experience with one? Bonus if it can be found locally. Thanks, also if you have on for sale dont hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Darth

octopus bh-1000 affordable and a great skimmer

dnas17

az

thats the going price you should find one locally...
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Darth

Quote from: dnas17 on October 15, 2012, 07:27:54 AM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-bh1000-hang-on-the-back-protein-skimmer.html is this what you were talking about? Looks good to me and I like the price if it is.
yes it is and you can find it locally, and sometimes at a better price and on sale =)

dnas17

Any ideas of where i can find it locally? I know als doesnt carry it.

RickGervs

Aqua Valley or Ray might have it. If not look at the sponsor page

Greatwhite

I am not sure, but I think that 5-6" of space is not going to be enough for a BH-1000.  Those things are pretty big... They're very COOL looking, but not cool enough to hang on the front of your tank to run. :)

Unfortunately, the amount of space you have there will limit your options.  A Deltec MCE-600 would fit, but it's not "cheap".  I think they retail around $450+...  Not sure who can get you one locally, and/or whether they can get you a better price.  They certainly don't come up for sale used often.  I had one that I sold last year (practically like new) for $300 - but that doesn't help...

One option that you have, which is hit & miss in most people's eyes is a HOB overflow down to a sump and get a skimmer down there.  That takes less space on the back of your tank, and offers you the ability to use a sump without drilling your tank - thereby giving you as much space as you need for a skimmer, heater, any extra stuff like Phosban Reactor.

The problem that SOME people have with HOB overflows is the whole "those things clog up, and you flood!" argument.  But for every person who has flooded from a HOB overflow, 15 have had perfect success.

Just food for thought...

dnas17

You sure? I have been looking around at that skimmer and i read its only something like 3 and a half inches from front to back and looking at some pictures i forsure think it will fit. Anyway even if it is too big i dont have an issue with hanging it off the side perhaps i may have misread the measurments

Greatwhite

Quote from: dnas17 on October 15, 2012, 04:02:18 PM
You sure? I have been looking around at that skimmer and i read its only something like 3 and a half inches from front to back and looking at some pictures i forsure think it will fit. Anyway even if it is too big i dont have an issue with hanging it off the side perhaps i may have misread the measurments

I might be wrong - but I do know that when I saw one in a store, I was like "wow, that thing looks awesome - but damn, it's big!" :)

I just Googled to get measurements:
Body Height 17"   
Footprint Width 7.75"   
Footprint Length 3.25"

I'm guessing that "length" is the "depth"..  It really seemed bigger.. Maybe I saw a different model.  ??? 

blizzack1

Quote from: dnas17 on October 15, 2012, 12:04:27 PM
Any ideas of where i can find it locally? I know als doesnt carry it.

Aqua Valley got a big shipment in for the five year anniversary and had at least two left yesterday...

dnas17

Perhaps, I'm gonna head over to Aqua Valley this week I'm confident it will fit. Some of the measurements may be including the pipe which would obviously go into the tank. I will let you all know however.

Feivel

i think this should be strickly a HOB unit. I mean yes you can put it into your sump and run longer pickup tubes, but holding it up may be an issue not to mention the vibrations from the motor. Seeing as ive never really had a good quality skimmer, i would rate this as a gets the job done skimmer. not the best but not junk either. the guy i bought it from drilled holes in the exit tube and put strap ties making like a grill so the snails wouldnt get in and block it up. i thought it was a good idea so im sharing it :)

mine measures 3 3/8 (thick i guess or Wall clearence) 8 3/4 wide  and it is 20 3/8 to the top of the skimmer, AND!!!! to remove the skim box a MINIMAL CLEARENCE of 25 3/4 (leaves you 1/16 strong to play with)  i just pulled mine out but im not selling it. im testing this new skimmer i got for free, it doesnt seem to have enough air flow tho so i might replace the bh1000. the other is a coralife superskimmer for a 220g setup.

az

bh1000 would fit it takes 4" or less.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Feivel

side note, it takes 16" to the bottom of the piping going over the edge of the tank.

dnas17

Quote from: Feivel on October 15, 2012, 10:45:04 PM
side note, it takes 16" to the bottom of the piping going over the edge of the tank.

yeah that wont be an issue

Feivel

looking at it the other way (height clearence) you will need about 10 1/4 min. to remove the skim cup.when i custom built my stand i put the tank at 36" .... doing it again maybee 40. but 36 is fine. my sump shelf is at 3". im using 3/4 ply and 2" styrofoam under the tank

Greatwhite

Yeah, space to remove the skim cup is important -- as is space to remove the entire skimmer for cleaning...  My old stand had my skimmer in there so tight that i could BARELY remove the cup, and good luck getting the skimmer out.  I had to drain my sump, disconnect everything and slide it out to get the skimmer out when it got all plugged up with chaeto. :(

A HOB will probably not have that problem. :)

dnas17

Quote from: Greatwhite on October 16, 2012, 07:16:31 PM
Yeah, space to remove the skim cup is important -- as is space to remove the entire skimmer for cleaning...  My old stand had my skimmer in there so tight that i could BARELY remove the cup, and good luck getting the skimmer out.  I had to drain my sump, disconnect everything and slide it out to get the skimmer out when it got all plugged up with chaeto. :(

A HOB will probably not have that problem. :)

If removing the collection cup deals with height then there is no problem because my tank is no where near the ceiling LOL

Greatwhite

Quote from: dnas17 on October 16, 2012, 09:29:52 PM
If removing the collection cup deals with height then there is no problem because my tank is no where near the ceiling LOL

You never know!! hehe :)  I had built some floating shelves behind my aquarium at my old house, which would have made a HOB skimmer problematic if I wasn't running a 55G at that time (only 12" wide, I think)