Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New DIY CO 2

Started by charlie, October 19, 2012, 10:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

exv152

I'm a bit perplexed by what they stipulate is needed ...

-2x 2 Litre of Coka Cola plastic bottle
-1x 200g of Citric acid or 200ml of vinegar
-1x 200g of baking soda

Where's the yeast? Is this a diy based on vinegar and baking soda alone? Has anyone else tried this before?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

Perplexed also.  The baking soda/vinegar reaction is so fast.. not sure how you would sustain a reaction over a few days.

It seems that the bottles siphon from one to the other to mix the reagents.  But he has to turn the knob to make that happen?   

charlie

The baking soda & vinegar/acetic acid are the consumables which when mixed will give off CO2
I would suspect this system may suffer from the same cons of the DIY sugar & yeast & that is the production of CO2 is inconsistent,- high volumes from a fresh mix that will taper off over a period of time, another thing i would be concerned about is the safety factor, if the needle valve is restricting the gas & a fresh brew generates a high amount of gas , guess what will happen to the plastic bottles -you guessed it BOOM, this may well be controlled by this system but i don`t see how looking at it.

greenthumbs

i bought the exact system you mention... i too am worried about the amount of pressure build up in the 2 l bottle.The system comes with a gauge so you should be able to see how much pressure is in the bottle. I bought it because even if the baking soda/vinegar method does not work or seems to dangerous, it will be easy enough to convert it to a yeast  system with bubble counter or separator. it should look a lil nicer than the average DIY type, having factory made bottle caps, valves and gauges  lol.  Ill keep you posted with my findings if you wish, or maybe someone else has already tried it out and can shed some more light on the subject.

exv152

I wouldn't recommend anything that restricts gas, it'll end up all over the place. Even an alluminum cylinder would explode eventually with the build-up of co2 constantly being created inside. But if you remove the NV it should be safe.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

76brian

http://www.aircommandrockets.com/procedures.htm

Looks like you're pretty safe under 150PSI. Duct tape makes it stronger  ;)

Stussi613

Quote from: 76brian on November 16, 2012, 12:16:46 PM
http://www.aircommandrockets.com/procedures.htm

Looks like you're pretty safe under 150PSI. Duct tape makes it stronger  ;)

Thanks for the link, there's an hour of my life I'll never get back  ;D
I haz reef tanks.