Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Top 10 least expensive Canadian cities to buy a home

Started by Fishnut, October 19, 2012, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

My Head Office posted this article on Facebook today.  Ottawa's nowhere close to making this list but Gatineau is on it!  Interesting info though.

http://money.ca.msn.com/banking/homebuyersguide/gallery/top-10-least-expensive-cities-to-buy-a-home#image=1

Ottawa comes in at $$351,585.

ajm1961

That's it, I'm moving to Trois-Rivieres!!
The commute to Ottawa would be hell though... :P
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Peekay

All seem to be economically recessed areas... factory/industry towns?  And Quebec.  Interesting. 
At least Ottawa isn't ABOVE the national average!

RedFish

From a link on the page you mentioned, Ottawa does get ranked as fourth for best places in Canada to retire to, and best city to live in by MoneySense magazine:

"4. Ottawa, Ont.
For the third year in a row, Ottawa has been rated the best city in Canada to live by MoneySense magazine. Canada's capital city also ranked high in terms of health care — an important factor when choosing a city to retire in. Ontario ranks tops among Canadian provinces in terms of health-care quality, according to the Frontier Centre for Public Policy and according to the Canadian Medical Association, the nation's capital is rich with doctors.

The average home price in the city is about $365,000, which is in tune with the national average. As a bonus, the city offers a property tax-deferral program to low-income seniors.

* Bing: Top retirement homes in Ottawa"

Cheebs

Interesting!

The contrast bewtween here and parts of Quebec is drastic. I have a couple friends who moved here from Montreal, and back there they were able to easily find 2-3 bedrooms apartments for 6-700 bucks all inclusive.

Comparable apartments here are at least $1200.

It kind of reminds me of those real estate shows on tv. I should move to Arizona and buy 4 houses for the price I got mine for... But then I wouldn't have a lawn to mow. Decisions decisions...

Fishnut

Quote from: RedFish on October 19, 2012, 10:07:09 PM
From a link on the page you mentioned, Ottawa does get ranked as fourth for best places in Canada to retire to, and best city to live in by MoneySense magazine:

"4. Ottawa, Ont.
For the third year in a row, Ottawa has been rated the best city in Canada to live by MoneySense magazine. Canada's capital city also ranked high in terms of health care — an important factor when choosing a city to retire in. Ontario ranks tops among Canadian provinces in terms of health-care quality, according to the Frontier Centre for Public Policy and according to the Canadian Medical Association, the nation's capital is rich with doctors.

The average home price in the city is about $365,000, which is in tune with the national average. As a bonus, the city offers a property tax-deferral program to low-income seniors.

* Bing: Top retirement homes in Ottawa"

Yes, I saw that too!!  Great how high we rank :).  Over-all, Ottawa does tend to be on par or slightly above the national average.  Unfortunately, this city is having a bit of a slump this quarter so for September there were far fewer higher priced homes selling.  Lots of starter and second homes.

We're really lucky though.  Other markets are having it MUCH worse than we are.  Prices are actually dropping!  In Ottawa, the stats show that the markets holds steady as far as average prices are concerned with increases while all other markets fluctuate between highs and lows.  The last time there was a drop in prices in this city was in the 90's and still it wasn't a HUGE drop.

Hookup

My wife read Ottawa made the worst dressed city in Canada though... Lol

Fishnut

Impossible!!  LOL.  We're not as trendy as some cities but I've been to a few where it seems that a majority of the population forgets to change out of their PJ's before going out!

Hookup

Ahh yes, the pj pant look.  So close to awesome...  not!