Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Preparing for the worst

Started by Hookup, October 29, 2012, 12:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

The storm is coming... in the case of power-outtages Im no longer feeding my fish.  The idea is that this might help lower nutrient levels a little and in the event of a power-outtage i've maybe bought an hour or two more.

Anyone doing anything else?

xenon

I got my EcoTech battery backup tested and raised my powerheads higher up to break up the water surface.

Not much else I can do.

Malyon18

Ecotech battery backup here as well, good for a couple days on the mp10s I have it hooked to
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

RossW

I shutdown my tank last January ;-)

Hookup

Actually, i've got another 50g drum full of RO/DI that I can pre-mix for a water change if need be... but with a basement sump, when the power goes out it's like having two tanks to maintain... argh... please do not let the power go out...

There will be a massive sale of hardware pending any prolonged powerouttages at my house.... be ready... the more ticked off I am the cheaper stuff will go... ;)

JetJumper

*don't mind me.. got my wire cutters and ready to cut the power myself to Hookups house ;)  CHEAP STUFF HERE WE COME!

On the other hand.. got my generator ready to plug in :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Greatwhite

Quote from: RossW on October 29, 2012, 12:42:39 PM
I shutdown my tank last January ;-)

That's thinking ahead! :)

my kitchen reno just started... I hope they have their drills' batteries charged! :)

Severum

Ha ha, I was going to ask this same question and you beat me to it.

Im in the same situation as Hookup with a basemnet sump, ie two tanks to maintain. I'm going to set up my generator and make sure its runs well. A prolonged power loss would be devastating.

I can't imagine what happened to people's tanks during the ice storm or the power outtage over the summer a few years back.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

MJChang

Quote from: Hookup on October 29, 2012, 12:06:19 PM
The storm is coming... in the case of power-outtages Im no longer feeding my fish.  The idea is that this might help lower nutrient levels a little and in the event of a power-outtage i've maybe bought an hour or two more.

Anyone doing anything else?

will the storm affect so far to reach Ottawa?

Papou

Quote from: MJChang on October 29, 2012, 07:15:25 PM
will the storm affect so far to reach Ottawa?

don't worry people are over paranoid well have a little wind and rain

Greatwhite

Hookup

good point great white... its not going to hit ottawa... KEMPTVILLE is screwed though..

sas

Hookup

shivers... i'm not sure i like real-time info...

bring back my ignorance and bliss.

JetJumper

so far pretty boring in my area.. no wind.. no nothing..
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

76brian

Huge amounts of wind out here, and the occasional power flicker. Not enough to even reset clocks yet though. I have a generator if things go out for any length of time. I doubt I'll need it.

lucius

If you take a look at the paper version of the Ottawa Sun, they have an estimate on when the eye of the storm will reach our area and they are predicting Thursday.

Dakotamay

CNN also mentioned earlier that the main part of this storm isn't upon Ontario Canada until Thursday. Hopefully it won't be any worse than what went through last night.
It was extremely windy here. Toppled our patio furniture. We didn't lose power though. Thankfully. Two tanks here to keep going. A 180g mixed reef and a 150g FOWLR. We had the generator on standby lol. Gassed up and ready to run.

rgauvin

Quote from: Hookup on October 29, 2012, 08:51:30 PM
good point great white... its not going to hit ottawa... KEMPTVILLE is screwed though..
In all fairness, Kemptville was kinda screwed before sandy...

Hookup

Quote from: rgauvin on October 30, 2012, 09:48:20 AM
In all fairness, Kemptville was kinda screwed before sandy...

LOL  I like kemptville.. i always smile as I pass it by.