Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Black Substrate in a marine tank?

Started by JetJumper, November 12, 2012, 06:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetJumper

What do people use for black Substrate in a marine tank?
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

dbl_dbl

I once watch a documentary which had a really interesting part about "Volcanic" reefs where the sand was all black. Soon after I set up a 40g breeder using Tahitian Moon Sand. It's not aragonite based but I always found the natural carbonate buffers in the salt kept my chem stable! Good luck!

JetJumper

Quote from: dbl_dbl on November 12, 2012, 06:39:53 PM
I once watch a documentary which had a really interesting part about "Volcanic" reefs where the sand was all black. Soon after I set up a 40g breeder using Tahitian Moon Sand. It's not aragonite based but I always found the natural carbonate buffers in the salt kept my chem stable! Good luck!

Thank you for the awesome suggestion.  I am going to contact the local LFS's to see if any of them carry this product in stock.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

dbl_dbl

I think any inert sand will do, I just chose that one because the store I worked for had it for cheap :) It was "SUPER NATURALS", I think it will be common in most stores with freshwater fish.

dbl_dbl

Looked around a bit for you, apparently Carib Sea now carries the SUPER NATURALS label (maybe they always did?). Should be available pretty easily.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/substrates/super-naturals-tahitian-moon-50-lb.html