Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pest Assassins

Started by wrm130, November 14, 2012, 01:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrm130

I had originally picked up a couple of these guys for each of my tanks just to maintain a balance/control on the pond/mts snail population.  It worked out pretty well.  Problem is, I'm now overrun with baby assassins!  Which I'd read and been told wouldnt happen lol.  They even ate a batch of agassizi eggs which wasnt cool:(

SO, I'm going to pick out the ones I can but I'm sure to miss babies...Plus they're in 5 tanks.  My question is, has anyone else noticed them breeding? Annnnnd any smaller peaceful fish solutions to this problem?  Something that could live with dwarf cichlids, survive their outbursts yet allow them to breed successfully.

Thanks!!!

Stussi613

They breed like crazy and I've read that zebra loaches will eradicate them. Not sure about compatibility with your dwarf cichlids.

I'd try and catch as many as you can before you bring in the loaches though...people are always looking for them and they sell pretty fast.
I haz reef tanks.

exv152

I've heard of many different loaches that eat these things but I've never tried using them. I have a large population of pond and mts in my tanks and I've found the easiest and most effective population control method to be manual removal. I've used sinking pellets in a ceramic dish, or just on the gravel and they come out and cover the pellets. Then just remove them and repeat. Also, I've siphoned them out with just a hose, no python end, as it sucks water pretty hard you can go along the glass and remove them.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

robt18

Sell them! Lots of people need/want them. You could make a few bucks and a bunch of people happy!

If you do want to get rid of them, most loaches/botias are snail eaters. Clowns, zebras, yoyos, etc. all work very well. If you have a small tank, get Sidthmunki botias (Dwarf Chain Botia), they stay under a couple inches and are also effective snail eaters!

Fishnut

Yes, sell them if you don't want them! 

Mine also breed.  Not as much as the MTS but they breed well.  There are no snails left in the tanks that have the assassin snails so they eat whatever the fish don't.  I like having them in the tank though.  They're a pretty snail.

soleil1980

I used to have some and they did breed but not to the point where there was an infestation... However, I got rid of them and now I miss them... I would be willing to buy some from you and I'm sure I'm not the only one
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

wrm130

It's great to hear there is an interest in them.  However I've been warned already and dont want to get booted from the board.  So, I will NOT be selling or offering any here.  I will be manually picking out as many as I can. I was just looking for a more thorough biological solution that would not interfere with my fish as I'm sure to miss some.  Thanks for the help guys!

Now, if someone wants to buy me a membership, they are more than welcome to come and pickup as many as they feel entitled to:)

:s I hope I don't get in trouble for that

If I do, thats the last straw.  I'll buy a membership.  I'm tired of stressing about finding good homes for my critters:(

wrm130

They're everywhere! Cute, though!

Stussi613

Quote from: wrm130 on November 14, 2012, 02:42:25 PM
:s I hope I don't get in trouble for that

If I do, thats the last straw.  I'll buy a membership. 

If that's all it takes to get you to buy a membership consider yourself in trouble for posting that you have an assassin snail infestation  :D
I haz reef tanks.