Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

quality needle valve

Started by charlie, November 19, 2012, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I just want to share this with anyone that uses CO 2 injection, i stumbled on this metering valve recently , after doing some research on them all the hobbyist that have used them held had nothing but great things to say about them.
Given that these valves are new & worth hundreds of dollars , the price they are being sold at makes it a no brainer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-1-8-Stainless-Steel-HR-Precision-Metering-Valve-New-Several-Available-/140887495041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cd8c9181
Regards

exv152

I had to test the new video embeding function. This video shows the exact same metering valve. Incredible precision. I ordered two of them to be fitted on my micromatic build.

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEE8CaDIB2k[/embed]
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

I got a couple myself as well! They feel real solid and am excited to get them on a manifold as well!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

pm

Holy crap.  I honestly thought that there was not much of a difference between needle valves (other than better ones staying steady vs drifting over time), but the video speaks for itself.  I will need to see if I can add one (or two) of these to my setup. 

Thanks for posting about it.

exv152

Just doing a bit of research and found they don't appear to be needle valves - they're metering valves. Not sure of the difference. I think, but I may be wrong here, metering valves are different in terms of their internal sealing mechanism. The seal appears to be created by a fluorocarbon rubber. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.  But these units appear to be mainly used in the medical gas industry, and retail for a lot more, and they're highly recommended as some of the best, by folks who build custom regulators on the plantedtank forum.

I'm gonna look into also getting stainless steel fittings to match the regulator and other parts, but other than ebay, does anyone know of a place locally that sells stainless steel fittings?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on November 20, 2012, 10:24:11 AM
Just doing a bit of research and found they don't appear to be needle valves - they're metering valves. Not sure of the difference. I think, but I may be wrong here, metering valves are different in terms of their internal sealing mechanism. The seal appears to be created by a fluorocarbon rubber. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.  But these units appear to be mainly used in the medical gas industry, and retail for a lot more, and they're highly recommended as some of the best, by folks who build custom regulators on the plantedtank forum.

I'm gonna look into also getting stainless steel fittings to match the regulator and other parts, but other than ebay, does anyone know of a place locally that sells stainless steel fittings?
Metering valve is indeed the correct techinical lingo for our purposes needle valve is ok  ;)
Stainless fitttings are not cheap if you are sourcing from a store- be prepared , also research galling when you match brass with stainless steel thread.

exv152

Quote from: charlie on November 20, 2012, 01:09:12 PMMetering valve is indeed the correct techinical lingo for our purposes needle valve is ok  ;) Stainless fitttings are not cheap if you are sourcing from a store- be prepared , also research galling when you match brass with stainless steel thread.

You weren't kidding! The stainless steel fittings run for about $5-$6 each plus shipping, and some are quoting $20-$30 for the shipping alone regardless of the number of fittings. There doesn't seem to be anyone locally who sells them but  I'm just waiting for a contact on TPT to get back to me. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on November 22, 2012, 12:37:33 PM
You weren't kidding! The stainless steel fittings run for about $5-$6 each plus shipping, and some are quoting $20-$30 for the shipping alone regardless of the number of fittings. There doesn't seem to be anyone locally who sells them but  I'm just waiting for a contact on TPT to get back to me. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200582774539?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648
go through his list

charlie

Guys i was finally able to complete my 2 stage build using this needle valve & i`m just stoked , this thing certainly lives up to all the high accolades i`ve read about it, talk about fine control WOW.
I will be upgrading all my regs with this valve.
Regards

daworldisblack

charlie

exv152

:P Is that an airgas or a praxair two stage reg? Very sleek!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

You certainly dont mess around Errol! VERY nice :) Now include the parts list :p

charlie

Aud

Anyone found a provider in Ottawa? The link or ad has been removed.

daworldisblack

Needle Valve or Stainless Steel Fittings?

Aud

daworldisblack

I think its hard to find the big ones locally - i've ordered most of mine from the States (Swagelok and Parker Hannafin). Alternatively you could find it from other hobbyists locally or in other cities. Swagelok does seem to be in Toronto but have never dealt with them directly for products: http://www.swagelok.com/products/valves/metering-valves.aspx

charlie

Swagelok does have a local outlet, but stuff is not cheap.
18-D Enterprise Avenue
Nepean, ON K2G 0A6
Canada
613-226-1862
Regards

magnosis

Beginner's question here:
What makes it a dual-stage vs single-stage setup?