Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

were to get good cichlid selection

Started by elad, November 27, 2012, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elad

I am looking at setting up a cichlid tank to go with my marine tank and am trying to source out some cool tanganykan cichlids like altolamprologus ,synodontis,and maybe some cypriochromis. Wether it be local or online pay via PayPal if online if local whatever .any assistance would be appreciated .thanks
Solana 36 gal SW
35lbs LR
1black clown
A few cleaners
Aqua illumination  Sol LED light fixture
8 puck 24 led blue,royal,white,light
Combination
1 vortec MP 40
1 reefkeeper lite
2 hydor korilias 750

Seriously need to add to the tank lol

ajm1961

Hmm... good local supply of cichlids, that's a tough one.
As far as LFS go, I would say you would likely have to get Big Als to make a special order for you. I know the ones in Toronto have good selection of Malawians - haven't looked into Tanganykans. I did see some synos at BAs on the weekend.

Another way is to be on the lookout for local breeders - either here or on UsedOttawa.

Other than that: ship from Spencer Jack's (www.Cichlaholic.com) or from the US.

You just missed out on the OCA Extra - saw several Tang lake fish!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

FishBuddy

Quote from: elad on November 27, 2012, 08:55:14 PM
I am looking at setting up a cichlid tank to go with my marine tank and am trying to source out some cool tanganykan cichlids like altolamprologus ,synodontis,and maybe some cypriochromis. Wether it be local or online pay via PayPal if online if local whatever .any assistance would be appreciated .thanks

Unfortunately, Tanganyikan are tough to obtain in the Ottawa area; even in LFS.  For one thing, they are more expensive than Malawis.  Also, in general, they are more sensitive to water parm (ie: temperatures, KH, GH, etc...) therefore requires more care to keep them.  There are exceptions of course such as the synodontis catfish; pretty hardy in my opinion.  The altolamprologus compressicep/calvus are also quite hardy and will go well with the Malawis. 

The only way I see is to head to GTA as the market is larger there...  Be prepare to pay up too as Tangs in general are not cheap :) 

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

elad

I know I used to breed chiclids changed over to saltweater many years ago now I am slowing down. I have 1 saltwater tank and I am looking at gettting 1 Cichlid tank. I would love more but with three kids that are all still at home it is tuff maybe in retirement I will start back up with more tanks but for now I will be good with the 2 tanks.

any store in the GTA that ship to Ottawa ?
Have a website to browse and see whats there ?

Cheers
Solana 36 gal SW
35lbs LR
1black clown
A few cleaners
Combination
1 vortec MP 40
1 reefkeeper lite
2 hydor korilias 750

FishBuddy

Quote from: elad on November 28, 2012, 05:35:53 PM
I know I used to breed chiclids changed over to saltweater many years ago now I am slowing down. I have 1 saltwater tank and I am looking at gettting 1 Cichlid tank. I would love more but with three kids that are all still at home it is tuff maybe in retirement I will start back up with more tanks but for now I will be good with the 2 tanks.

any store in the GTA that ship to Ottawa ?
Have a website to browse and see whats there ?

Cheers

The breeders in GTA are mostly local private breeders and you have to meet up with them as they don't do shipping.  You could always try some of the stores in the GTA but be prepared to pay more.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

fischkopp

Looks like Finatics hasn't come up yet: http://www.finaticsaquarium.com

I am not much into africans, but I have see Mike's old store and can say that is one of the finest I have seen on this side of the ocean. The new one must be amazing.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

elad

Solana 36 gal SW
35lbs LR
1black clown
A few cleaners
Combination
1 vortec MP 40
1 reefkeeper lite
2 hydor korilias 750

Al

As suggested, Toronto is one good source - lots of small breeders - check out pricenetwork.ca or GTA Aquaria. As far as getting fish shipped, there are several good US suppliers that are ethical and you can count on honest transactions of good fish. You can check out Cichlid Forum as they have reviews of the different retailers. If you want some info on suppliers I have used, send me a PM.
I am going to be ordering from the US myself in the next couple of months - it's really a pretty simple transaction but obviously with sight unseen you want someone that can be trusted.
Good luck.
Al

dbl_dbl

Jody at Big Al's East can get in all sorts of Tanganyika and isn't afraid to do it!