Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Large acrylic tank?

Started by david16, December 11, 2012, 01:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david16

Anyone has an acrylic tank?  Are they really that easy to scratch?

From online search, some say it scratches very easily, but others say the newer acrylics are much better than the old ones.  So what's your experience?

I am planning to order a large acrylic tank (from the States).  The main reason is the tank is much lighter and stronger than a glass tank.  A 225G acrylic tank weights about 180 lbs versus 350 lbs for a 1/2" glass tank or ove 500 lbs for a 3/4" one.

I had contacted a few stores and I am almost settle on one now.  Shipping is a big cost for a single tank.  At the moment I am ordering 2 tanks so the average shipping cost per tank is much more reasonable based on the store's estimate.  Will get a firm quote soon though.  If anyone wants to order a big tank, we may be able to split the shipping cost.  PM me to discuss further.

FYI, one of the store I contacted has the 300G Deep Dimension tank with Starphire front glass on sale for about 20% off list price.  The price is very attractive but the tank weights 460 lbs!  The store is in Milton.  PM me if you want more information.

exv152

Acrylic is easier to scratch, but apparently some scratchs can be buffed out. On the upside, it's lighter, clearer, and much stronger making it ideal for larger setups, and cheaper as you pointed out. Smaller acrylic tanks tend to be more expensive than glass though.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

robt18

They do scratch easier. If anything gets pulled along it it'll scratch quickly inside or out... Watch algaeing as sand can get caught in between the glass.

veron

Glass over acrylic any day. Acrylic will scratch very easy. While its nice and clear and lighter,
hopefully you won't be moving it that much.
Starphire glass is a little softer than regular float glass IMO so you'll have to be carefull as well. If the prices are not to far off then I would choose glass. 8)

wrm130

I have an evolve 8...careful as I was, my belt buckle scratched the front pane while I was setting it up >:(

Glass is also easier to clean without worrying about scratching.

Plum

Have 2 large acrylic tanks and would move this route again.

Much much easier to move and scratches can be buffed out rather easily by someone familiar with any type of car body work (waxy enough to find)

Color is much better, especially on large tanks....

My 960g has regular float glass which is not nearly as nice as when in acrylic.

Starphire??? Heard it is even worse than acrylic....

david16

After all the readings from the net, I have decided to go with an acrylic tank.

Thanks for all the warnings.  I will try to be careful with maintenance and fish (pleco) selection.

It will be a 225g acrylic tank from the states and I will pickup at Ogdensburg.  I think it weights the same as my 90g (1/2") glass tank.  It's nice to be able to move the tank easily with 2 people.

regards,
/David.

magnosis

Re:
I don't have any exp. with acrylic tanks firsthand, but one person almost convinced me to give it a try:

uarujoey.

He has a whole youtube series on building acrylic tanks from the ground up, as well as lids, sumps, filters, etc.  Very well spoken and seems like an nice, honest and knowledgeable person.  I never met him but that's the impression I got from the videos ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYhfV7SvoRs

Send him a pm or email or youtube comment, I'm sure he'll be happy to help with acrylic brands, grades, maintenance, repairs, etc.