Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Snail Army

Started by masoud100, December 17, 2012, 11:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masoud100

I have just noticed that my colony of 3 Zebra Thorn Snails have produced more than 10 noticable sized snails and I see many more than is probably 1mm in size. When I bought them I heard they cannot reproduce in the aquarium and their eggs are infertile. So what's going on. Is there any fish I can add in that can go with Harlequins and Otto Cats that will eat the snails right away?

sas

Wow congrats!
If they are indeed Zebra Nerite snails I personally wouldn't be looking to destroy them, I'd be growing them out and either giving them away or selling them. I'm sure even the lfs would take them for credit maybe.
These guys are not a pest, unlike pond snails and even pond snails are okay in my books but then I'm just weird :).

blueknight0303

they are the best snail for algae eating... expensive too! keep them and u might be able to earn some $$.

Dan

I had researched theses a while back when I was looking for a biological solution to algae. My understanding is that the eggs will only hatch in brackish water. But you might blow that theory out the window... I have  a few in my display tank and have never seen any hatch (tons of eggs but no babies), I would be curious to get your water specs as I would love to bread theses.

I would be interested in buying a few at our next meeting - I would snatch a few up if you show up with some.

blueknight0303

zebra/nerite snail is different from zebra thorn snail.

masoud100

When i purchased them originally i bought them under the name zebra thorn snails. They had a shell with.vlack stripe and each snail had a thorn or thorns on their shell. The new creatures i see vary in sizes and are complete see through but are shaped like snails. Are my snails the one that everyone wants or no

sas

Quote from: masoud100 on December 19, 2012, 03:15:51 AM
When i purchased them originally i bought them under the name zebra thorn snails. They had a shell with.vlack stripe and each snail had a thorn or thorns on their shell. The new creatures i see vary in sizes and are complete see through but are shaped like snails. Are my snails the one that everyone wants or no

Can you post a good pic of them here?

Or easy way to find out is bring them to a fellow aquarist or to a aquarium store and they'll tell
you right away what they are.

Stussi613

Considering the number of plants you added and the timing of the see through snails you are seeing I would bet they came into the tank with the plants and are growing...probably common snails.
I haz reef tanks.

Peekay

I was thinking the same as Stussi. 
Are they like these?  These are common snails that come in on plants.  This picture is hugely magnified, mine are not more than 4mm across.

http://www.aquariumslife.com/uncategorized/freshwater-snail-removal/

Feivel

maybee someone answered this already, i just read the top post, put a few algae waffer in the bottom corner of the tank. come back in 30 mintues remove snails from corner and repeat, might have better luck scooping the corner with a net, removing snails and replace media.

Hope this helps.
cheers

masoud100

Quote from: Peekay on December 19, 2012, 08:25:02 PM
I was thinking the same as Stussi. 
Are they like these?  These are common snails that come in on plants.  This picture is hugely magnified, mine are not more than 4mm across.

http://www.aquariumslife.com/uncategorized/freshwater-snail-removal/

I kind of see some snails that are shaped like that in my tank but very tiny. Others I see more in the shape of a normal snail (like my zebra thorn snails) however they have no colour and it is kind of see through. I really dont think they came from the plants since I've had plants for a long time in my aquarium and never noticed them until now. I do have white stuff on stems of my plants and wood (eggs I think) and I am guessing they are from the zebra thorn snails. I removed all the big zebra thorn snails now my tank is just filled with tiny small snails that have no colour to them.

I dont know whether I should wait to see what it turns out or solve the problem now by predetation. I have heard Assassian Snails are good but where can I get them. How about yoyo loaches will they eat them for sure (because most of my snails are on the plants, etc). Brine I would love giving them to you but its kind of a pain trying to find them and catch them.

Dan

Critter Jungle usually carries assassin snails...but call ahead to make sure they have some in stock.