Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

home phone conglomerates

Started by Fishnut, December 23, 2012, 12:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

Quote from: Greatwhite on December 26, 2012, 01:55:24 PM
Yeah, I'm talking about what they call the Nextbox... The HD PVR that was out before they rebranded them as Nextbox 2.0 is the one I've seen.  The guide change that they pushed out a few months ago is very slick, as is the "recorded shows" section.  I didn't know of the 1:04am reboot, which is silly. 

My buddy has the receiver that I'm thinking of, and his only complaint is that it's not always 100% accurate in the "available space" calculation, and it won't start recording a show if there's not enough room on the drive.  This causes the system to think there isn't enough room, and then he missed recording some shows that he was looking forward to.  Granted, he & his family keep WAY TOO MANY SHOWS on their PVR because their kid likes to watch the same things over and over...

The guide on the new boxes is definitely better than the normal guide, but its not nearly as good as the Bell guide.  The fact that Bell let's you keep theirs after 3 years doesn't hurt either, with Rogers you could pay a rental fee for 5 years, never own the box and not be able to upgrade to a new box unless something is wrong with the one you have.

QuoteI haven't seen the pictures side by side to compare Bell with Rogers, so I can't really comment on the picture quality -- and I don't know who Eric is, so I really shouldn't comment on the picture quality at all... :)

I was referring, mistakenly, to exv152, but I think the comment was directed to Darth.  I just changed to Bell Sattelite in December and the HD quality is much better.  My sister has the Bell FibeTV and its better yet. We have the exact same tv, bought at the same store from the same shipment...so it's pretty easy to compare.
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on December 27, 2012, 03:13:41 AM
The guide on the new boxes is definitely better than the normal guide, but its not nearly as good as the Bell guide.  The fact that Bell let's you keep theirs after 3 years doesn't hurt either, with Rogers you could pay a rental fee for 5 years, never own the box and not be able to upgrade to a new box unless something is wrong with the one you have.

True... We couldn't see paying a rental fee forever - and then bought the box... and are now stuck with it with no "trade in" option. :(  But I'm sure it'd be the same with Bell if we bought their's flat out.  Some day I'll raise a stink with Rogers and I'm sure they will say "go ahead and buy a new unit and we'll credit you some $$$".... maybe.

exv152

Quote from: Stussi613 on December 27, 2012, 03:13:41 AM...The fact that Bell let's you keep theirs after 3 years doesn't hurt either, with Rogers you could pay a rental fee for 5 years, never own the box and not be able to upgrade to a new box unless something is wrong with the one you have...I was referring, mistakenly, to exv152, but I think the comment was directed to Darth.  I just changed to Bell Sattelite in December and the HD quality is much better.  My sister has the Bell FibeTV and its better yet. We have the exact same tv, bought at the same store from the same shipment...so it's pretty easy to compare.

Bell let us keep the two HD receivers after only a few months of renting them, they messed up on our bill and we negotiated a better rate, and they through in the two HD receivers for free. I have a 46" full HD tv with a high refresh rate and the bell satelite HD is better than the rogers HD we used to have. Someone once told me it wasn't the signal that was better, but rather the way the signal is compressed. Who knows, but thanks for the tip on the bell fibe tv, I'll be looking out for it.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g