Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

broken aquarium hoods??

Started by greenthumbs, December 26, 2012, 09:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenthumbs

I am looking for two aquarium hoods, one for a 36" x12" and the other 24"x12". Im tired of my screens getting rusty from the bubbles, and i need to keep the cats out. Ive looked online and it seems i may as well get an aquarium kit with the hood included, they are way over priced to buy separatley especially for T8 ballasts.  eeesh

thank you,
Matt

Habsfan

Have you looked into acrylic or glass cut to fit? This is something I am considering doing. Does anybody know if Lowe's will cut glass?

rgauvin

I ct some acrylic to fit. It covers ~75% of the top, the other 25% is covered by egg crate. That way I can feed the fish without needing to take anything off and I still get good gas exchange/air flow.

dakrazyone

Rgauvin,  I have a spare hood with light, both perfect condition.  It is off a 25g, not sure what size it is, could be 24", let me know

greenthumbs

I have a glass 36" x 12" cover with hinge that i absolutely hate. When i do my water changes i have no idea where to place it, to avoid damage, if i leave it on, it might get knocked into the tank by accident. I also have a screen cover, with hinged door, which i used when i had a turtle in the tank, and it doesnt suit my needs....everything ive tried just gives me a headache. With the glass my cats knock the lights around and the thought of a heavy cat on glass makes me worrisome. And sorry for making this seem like a "looking for ad"... Im just trying to get ideas mostly. I liked the acrylic idea, but ill still have the problem with cats and kids knocking the lights around.  Thanks everyone who responded.

Nerine

I had to get a cover for my tanks...the darn cats wouldnt stay out!!! the hoods were constantly inside the tank and the only thing that worked were the metal screens....

BUT - you can do a plastic mesh screen, one of my reptile tanks has a plastic mesh screen and is awesome!! it had to be reinforced to stand the weight of the cats (put glass panels running across to help) ...it came with the tank, but it shouldn't be THAT hard to make... ?? take a trip to the LFS  aka Rona, Lowes, Home Depot hehe
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Darth

I would use eggcrate lets air flow through can easily be cut to size and is pretty durable

greenthumbs

Quote from: Nerine on December 27, 2012, 08:49:56 PM
I had to get a cover for my tanks...the darn cats wouldnt stay out!!! the hoods were constantly inside the tank and the only thing that worked were the metal screens....

BUT - you can do a plastic mesh screen, one of my reptile tanks has a plastic mesh screen and is awesome!! it had to be reinforced to stand the weight of the cats (put glass panels running across to help) ...it came with the tank, but it shouldn't be THAT hard to make... ?? take a trip to the LFS  aka Rona, Lowes, Home Depot hehe

HAHAHAHA like the joke..its funny cuz its true

blueknight0303

Brine

How is this not a Looking For Classified Ad?

Darth

Stussi613

Quote from: Brine on December 28, 2012, 08:46:44 PM
How is this not a Looking For Classified Ad?

It's posted in the DIY section so the assumption is the OP is looking for advice on how to make something cheaper than what he can buy, as indicated.  If the ad was a clear request for someone to contact him if they had one it would have been deleted.
I haz reef tanks.

Brine

Quote from: Stussi613 on December 29, 2012, 03:12:47 AM
It's posted in the DIY section so the assumption is the OP is looking for advice on how to make something cheaper than what he can buy, as indicated.  If the ad was a clear request for someone to contact him if they had one it would have been deleted.
Nowhere does he ask for advice on how to make or DIY one. Others suggest it after one offers to sell him a hood. This is clearly a Classified Ad in violation of the new members only rules. I am looking for someone to buy my equipment so I don't have to sell it to someone who doesn't know much about fish. So can I post that?

Darth

Quote from: greenthumbs on December 26, 2012, 09:40:00 AM
I am looking for two aquarium hoods, one for a 36" x12" and the other 24"x12"
thank you,
Matt

this seems pretty clear he is asking for something

greenthumbs

Quote from: Darth on December 29, 2012, 10:02:29 AM
this seems pretty clear he is asking for something

Yes everyone is right.I am looking for something, may it be knowledge, an idea or maybe something that may be collecting dust in your basement. It was a broad question, so what.... All you have done is assume..Seriously who isn't "looking" for something. I can assume everyone on this forum is looking for something one way or an other otherwise, why would you join in the first place....Are you looking for a pat on the back??? or an award for picking on the new guy? lets get the fish police out HAHAHAHA.....

thanks for reading....see ya round..maybe

Darth

While I get what your saying as everyone is looking for something ie. information but as u being the "new guy" may have not been around for the classifieds debate it was deemed classifieds be closed to non-member now agree or disagree we all had to oblige, unfortunately your post would fall into a looking for category as it states u are looking for equipment if you were looking for alternatives then it would be different. It boils down to legistics so perhaps a reword of the op may be on order idk I don't run te club

Stussi613

Quote from: Brine on December 29, 2012, 09:16:33 AM
Nowhere does he ask for advice on how to make or DIY one. Others suggest it after one offers to sell him a hood.  This is clearly a Classified Ad in violation of the new members only rules.  I am looking for someone to buy my equipment so I don't have to sell it to someone who doesn't know much about fish. So can I post that?

Considering the uproar over the deletion of any post that even resembled a looking for ad after the rules were changed the execs, the mods and the webmaster had a discussion about what constitutes a looking for ad and decided that ads specifically soliciting a product would be removed and more ambiguous posts would me monitored.  Anytime the mods aren't sure if a post needs to be removed, they ask for advice from the head of the moderation team, which is me.

If you would prefer, we can go back to removing any post that even vaguely resembles a looking for ad.

Maybe I'll start with this one:

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=55515.msg312963#msg312963

Quote from: Brine on December 19, 2012, 10:18:46 PM
My freshwater puffer is always willing to take snails off anyone's hands  :)
I haz reef tanks.

Brine

I don't believe I know greenthumbs, at least I don't know him/her by that screen name anyway. We could be great friends for all I know and perhaps will be one day. This is not about a new guy it is about a double standard. The executive decided to make all classifieds members only for posting and if that is there decision they should adhere to it.

As for deleting my post about snails don't bother I just did.

Stussi613

I was trying to point put that there are levels of ambiguity to everything, not trying to be childish.

You actually do know me Brine. I think you're a nice guy and I think I'm a nice guy, for the most part.  I had nothing to do with the closing of the classifieds to non-members...that was done by last years execs. I also know that people have been trying to get around the rules and when the mods blanket deleted anything that said "where do I find" people were up in arms. 

We're striving for balance.
I haz reef tanks.

greenthumbs

I agree that i may have broken some "rules" it was not my intention. Feel free to delete the thread if you wish. I solved my issue. and im sure taht the moderators or the powers that be, do not want this discussion in the DIY equipment section.  thanks everyone for your help, the ones that helped anyways.

Maybe next time a newbie makes a mistake send them a PM instead of complaining.If you have nothing good to say dont say it at all.

Take care