Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

maxspect razor or similiar

Started by Darth, December 26, 2012, 10:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

So I am thinking with this years tax refund I may take the plunge and go led, I have been looking at the maxspect razor for a few reasons, overall cost being the biggest, as this maxes out my budget, second overall design it is super sleek and beautifully designed. So I have some questions I am looking for from people who own them like what did you use before was it worth the switch? Do I get the 16k or 10 k, how customizable is the coloring, like can I adjust it to as blue or white as I want it. Can someone share pics? Does it have a moonlight effect? I am really looking for an in depth
personal user review. Or if there are other brands in and around that price range, I can't do DIY because well I just suck at stuff like that, my tank is 56 gal not upgrading anytime in the near future dimensions are 30" long 18" deep and 24" high. I want something that will give me good even coverage with good light for all corals, and under $500 I know is a shot in the dark, but maybe it can be done. Thanks in advance for any response!

Darth

OliAM

Check on Kijiji....there is a set of Radion used but still at 475 tx in or both for 900$ not a bad deal at all.....and you can upgrade them to Pro in a couple of months.

Darth

my prob with this is the size, 1 unit is like 11 inches wide I need both for proper coverage, and then $900 is double what I want to spend but thanks

Medym

I have the 27'' 16k.   I will have some more time tomorrow to respond to your above questions.

Darth

Quote from: Medym on December 27, 2012, 11:27:17 PM
I have the 27'' 16k.   I will have some more time tomorrow to respond to your above questions.
sweet thank you I look forward to it

OliAM

How Big is your tank ? On a 48" Tank you need 2 modules.....

I've seen the Radion at Work at MS the G1 Radion are still ahead of the Maxpect....but more expensive :(...... Still I think it's a worth it investment

Darth

my tank is 30 inches long, so I can't believe that an 11 inch light is going to  cover the entire tank, withut it loooking like a spotlight my t5s and mh give me a nice even coverage

OliAM

Yep 2 modules would be required, it would be awsome, saw those on Xenon tank, he had 4 on a 75 Gallon, a little overkill but way way way nicer than anything else I've seen. At the end it really a question of how much $$$ you have to spend. If I had the 900$ I would get those Radion, more flexible, up-gradable, modular and the option offered with the software for sunset, sunrise, cloud, lightning, color balance is like nothing else. But money Talk man !

Darth

Lightning, cloud cover yeah that's cool for like 30 secs otherwise from what I read so far the razor is awesome

Medym

So I have some questions I am looking for from people who own them like what did you use before was it worth the switch?

I am using the Razor on a brand new 30 gallon, 36'' long salt water setup.  I was looking for something that was going to be little maintenance, last long term, support any number of livestock and be easy to setup.  It looks fantastic over the tank, is very quiet and provides a very clean lighting to the tank.  I was at first leaning towards DIY, then PAR bulbs, but I am very happy with how this turned out.

Do I get the 16k or 10 k, how customizable is the coloring, like can I adjust it to as blue or white as I want it. Can someone share pics?

I am very happy with the 16K.  As for the colouring, there are two channels you can adjust the blues and whites on a dimmer.  So you have a lot of flexibility to choose the intensity of the light and colouration you prefer.  Right now I am using the preset timers which allow for the light to ramp up over an hour or two, stay on and dim down again at the end of the day.

Does it have a moonlight effect?
Sort of.  The "moonlight" setting is just running the blue channel at about 1% which is not that bad.  This can always be adjusted to your preference.

Or if there are other brands in and around that price range, I can't do DIY because well I just suck at stuff like that, my tank is 56 gal not upgrading anytime in the near future dimensions are 30" long 18" deep and 24" high.

This was my big question too.  What else is in the same price range and capability of this light.  Unfortunately other LED fixtures are not big enough to be sufficient with one unit (then requiring more $$$).  With a 36'' tank, I am pushing it as my rockwork allows for some shadowing since the LED pods are more centred on the fixture.  Regardless of this shadowing, there is still sufficient lighting to support  lower light corals and coraline algae growth.  

The build in timers and the one button controller are easy to use and program.  The fixture is equiped with fans which are silent and it does a super job.  I do not run it at 100% because it is almost too much for the corals right now.  My  build thread should have a picture of it when its running, but I can try to get some more substantial pictures uploaded this weekend.

Hope it helps.

Darth

Quote from: Medym on December 28, 2012, 01:27:47 PM
So I have some questions I am looking for from people who own them like what did you use before was it worth the switch?

I am using the Razor on a brand new 30 gallon, 36'' long salt water setup.  I was looking for something that was going to be little maintenance, last long term, support any number of livestock and be easy to setup.  It looks fantastic over the tank, is very quiet and provides a very clean lighting to the tank.  I was at first leaning towards DIY, then PAR bulbs, but I am very happy with how this turned out.

Do I get the 16k or 10 k, how customizable is the coloring, like can I adjust it to as blue or white as I want it. Can someone share pics?
Thanks so much this is exactly what I was hoping for thank you for you assistance in this!!

I am very happy with the 16K.  As for the colouring, there are two channels you can adjust the blues and whites on a dimmer.  So you have a lot of flexibility to choose the intensity of the light and colouration you prefer.  Right now I am using the preset timers which allow for the light to ramp up over an hour or two, stay on and dim down again at the end of the day.

Does it have a moonlight effect?
Sort of.  The "moonlight" setting is just running the blue channel at about 1% which is not that bad.  This can always be adjusted to your preference.

Or if there are other brands in and around that price range, I can't do DIY because well I just suck at stuff like that, my tank is 56 gal not upgrading anytime in the near future dimensions are 30" long 18" deep and 24" high.

This was my big question too.  What else is in the same price range and capability of this light.  Unfortunately other LED fixtures are not big enough to be sufficient with one unit (then requiring more $$$).  With a 36'' tank, I am pushing it as my rockwork allows for some shadowing since the LED pods are more centred on the fixture.  Regardless of this shadowing, there is still sufficient lighting to support  lower light corals and coraline algae growth.  

The build in timers and the one button controller are easy to use and program.  The fixture is equiped with fans which are silent and it does a super job.  I do not run it at 100% because it is almost too much for the corals right now.  My  build thread should have a picture of it when its running, but I can try to get some more substantial pictures uploaded this weekend.

Hope it helps.

OliAM

I have to agree that the lightning and the Cloud thing a cool but nowhere close to a must. But the Sync with the Vortech pump to slowdown at night (when lights are off or dimmed depending on where you setup your night start) Software is so cool like you can create your own curve of spectrum, adjust the Royal Blue, the Blue, the White, the Red and the Green on a per channel basis. Pretty sure with the Maxpect you will get a great product, at a really affordable price. Those Radion are indeed expensive but it's just like buying a Toyota Vs a BMW; they will both get you where you want and the first one for a way cheaper price. The Other one well it for people that can afford to play in the big league.....I wish I could be there.

Darth

Quote from: OliAM on December 29, 2012, 08:39:49 AM
Toyota Vs a BMW; they will both get you where you want and the first one for a way cheaper price. The Other one well it for people that can afford to play in the big league.....I wish I could be there.
I equate it more to having a ferrari, when you live in the country why have a car that can cruise at 220kmh when you can only drive it at 40kmh I believe its a bit overkill for what I want, but thanks for pointing how how poor I really am LOL

JetJumper

Quote from: Darth on December 29, 2012, 10:08:24 AM
I equate it more to having a ferrari, when you live in the country why have a car that can cruise at 220kmh when you can only drive it at 40kmh I believe its a bit overkill for what I want, but thanks for pointing how how poor I really am LOL

I managed to pick up 2 radions for $600 a month ago.. Which was a hell of a price..

but for your application.. Maxspect is the more cost effective deal.. Radion is overkill for sure.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Darth

yeah thats what I am going to go with, it is really hard to find solid reviews on this light, I mean you can read everywhere about how nice it looks, and what not, but not until Medym did I find a good solid "I own this light review" I am just worried because for me personally this is a lot of money to lay out, so I want to be  sure I  am getting the best bang for my buck, as I said I dont' plan on getting a new tank anytime soon, so these lights are going to have to last me long term and after weighing the cost of replacing my bulbsihc 4 t5's which have to be replaced badly and a 250 hqi mh it gets costly so hopefully long term this will be better thanks everyone for all the replies

Nicolas

Hi have the maxspect razor 16k on my 25 gallons and I see nice coloration and good growth on all my sps corals. I'm really happy with this light.

Rod

Just installed two razors over my tank and they look awesome. Great shimmer effect and they brought out colours in my coral that was not there will MH and actincs. The guys at Marinescape seemed to impressed with them at the price point.

Darth

what was the price for the units if you don't mind, I like the idea of being able to change the color of the tanks as metal halide you get what you get, so I am uber excited to get this now, all I have to do wait till march for when my taxes come back  :)

Kenny P

Hi Darth

The price is set by Maxspect. They are carried by Marinescape and Fishtails only ( I believe ). They are 440.00$ + Tax for the 20.5" I was told they are not allowed to sell for less.
I am in the same boat as you..I need one, but they are going to make me over budget. I'm thinking of leaving salt because of this :(
I Rock..so please be nice!!

65G saltwater
15G "No Tech" cold water planted
2g Beta bowl
18x18x18 cube 3 Dendrobate Auratus
18x18x22 cube 2 Dendrobate Leucomela