Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Roku 2 video streamer...

Started by Greatwhite, December 27, 2012, 07:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

So my wife got me this thing, because it was recommended by George Takei recently on Facebook and she had no idea what else to get me for Christmas (even though I had specifically requested a few tools)...

http://www.roku.com/ca

At first, I was confused as to why she would have thought it necessary to buy me something that was only good for streaming Netflix in Canada (I didn't know of the other FREE movie channels on it).  BUT I went ahead and tried to set it up anyway.

I had LOADS of problems with it out of the box...  I could get onto my network, but not OUT.  No amount of diddling with my router would help.  So I got onto the live chat support.  I spent an hour with some dude, after telling him that I was PLUGGED IN to my router to remove possible wifi issues as the problem.  He had me change the channel on my wireless to 6 from 11, and said "this always works!"......... it did not.

SO after 1 full hour, he says "I regret to inform you that this support line is for US customers only so I can't help you further".  He gave me an 800 number to call for Canadian support.  I asked how the weather was in India, and he said it was nice. *shrug*

I called the number, went through the whole serial number, date of purchase, etc process...  The guy asked for the manufacturer and model number of my router.  It's the one you buy from Rogers for "Ultimate High Speed Internet" with the wifi and whatnot built in.  SMC something or other.... "oh.. SMC" the guy says in disgust... OK... So that told me already that IT was the problem.

Apparently the Roku device is not compatible with SMC because it's a router/gateway/modem and Rogers has them configured to block the Roku (probably not intentionally).  He told me that I could either call Rogers and have them enable something by pinging the Roku???, or go buy a "cheap" wireless router for my internal network.  I just happened to have a Vonage phone system with a built in router here, so I plugged into it - and it worked right away.  I guess I will pull my old D-Link router out of retirement afterall...

I got to work looking for free stuff immediately.  I found 4 free movie on demand stations...  Most of the movies are horrible B movies - which is PERFECT.  There is one called Crackle that has decent older movies as well.  And, of course, my Netflix.  The selection in the states is much better, but I'm told better stuff is coming to Canada - eventually.  The channels remind me of how Netflix was when it first came to Canada.

The remote is similar to that from a Wii...  Motion sensitive...  You can use it like a mouse, and play Angry Birds - which is NOT made for a 60" TV...  But, all the video streaming is high definition, which is cool.

So ya... If anyone is looking to get one of these from Walmart (only around $100!), check your cable modem first!!!  If you are running a separate device for your internal network, you're all set.  Otherwise, get a new internal router and turn the wireless off on the cable modem!!!

Medym

We have a Roku and an AppleTV.  Between the two I have access to Canadian and American Netflix and Hulu.  We switched over to Teksavvy internet and dropped out satalitte.  Between iTunes, torrents, Hulu and Netflix we have more than enough TV to last a lifetime.

Great thing about the AppleTV is is supports 1080p and has optical audio.

Stussi613

Are you watching US Netflix on the AppleTV?  If so, what service are you using to change your DNS?
I haz reef tanks.

Medym

Quote from: Stussi613 on December 28, 2012, 12:39:33 AM
Are you watching US Netflix on the AppleTV?  If so, what service are you using to change your DNS?

Mostly,

(I am also using unblock-us (which allows me to get onto Hulu as well))

RossW

In the fall I tried the Roku, WD HD Live, and AppleTV.  I settled on the AppleTV and have not looked back since.  I now have 3 in my house.  The price is good and the experience is easily the best of the 3 IMHO.