Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Loud Emperor 280

Started by androo303, January 01, 2013, 01:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

I just purchased a new Emperor 280 from BA on Boxing Day and the motor is incredibly loud in comparison to my XP3 and my older Pwnguin that I once owned. Is it always going to be loud or is it a defect?

exv152

They are notoriously noisey. I had one a few years ago, and a friend of mine also recently bought one that came in a kit, and they all make noise to some degree. The aquaclears are a lot more quiet, and canisters are even better imo. Just to be sure, I would reset the impeller and make sure the biowheel is running freely, but some noise is expected.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

I vote the aquaclears too for the silence. I did have one that rattled but a quick fix was applying some vaseline to the impeller shaft and did the trick.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

androo303

Quote from: daworldisblack on January 01, 2013, 10:49:01 PM
I vote the aquaclears too for the silence. I did have one that rattled but a quick fix was applying some vaseline to the impeller shaft and did the trick.

Hmm, I'll have to try the Vaseline. I've already opened the unit and its been running for a few days so I doubt that BA will exchange for a different machine.

angelcraze

I bought one too at BA a few years ago.  YES, they are extremely noisy and I contacted Marineland to ask them about it.  They were very nice and sent sent me a new shaft part and impeller no charge, but it was still as noisy as the original   :(  The filter is currently sitting in storage, unused.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

dpatte

sometimes it is loud if the intake tube is not all the way down level
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.