Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is this an electrical hazard?

Started by George2, February 10, 2013, 10:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George2

I recently got a 16g aquarium and am in the process of setting it up.
After cutting the a hole in my hood/canopy to fit my filter, I realized that I put it directly in front of the location where the wire connects to the light. This means the wire will be about 1 inch away from water flowing out of the filter. Since the wire does not appear to have any special insulation to protect against water, is this considered dangerous? Should I get another hood and placed the filter away from the wire?

I've attached some pictures of what it looks like.

lucius

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

delslo

I personally would get some hard tubing and force the wire away from the light, or a cheaper solution, super glue the power cord to the light fixture for the first few inches to pull it away from the filter and then silicon around the wire where it enters the fixture.

JetJumper

The question comes down to.. is it freshwater or saltwater?  Fresh - I wouldn't worry.. SALT.. I would.

Me.. I would cover it in a bit of silicone.. That will solve some risk :) 
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

George2

Quote from: delslo on February 10, 2013, 02:03:06 PM
I personally would get some hard tubing and force the wire away from the light, or a cheaper solution, super glue the power cord to the light fixture for the first few inches to pull it away from the filter and then silicon around the wire where it enters the fixture.

That's a good idea. Thanks.

George2

Quote from: JetJumper on February 10, 2013, 07:00:31 PM
The question comes down to.. is it freshwater or saltwater?  Fresh - I wouldn't worry.. SALT.. I would.

Me.. I would cover it in a bit of silicone.. That will solve some risk :) 

It's a fresh water tank. That would definitely help.  I WISH I thought of this problem before I cut out the panels.   :(

fever

No problem at all, but if you still want piece of mind make sure your pluged into a GFCI protected circuit, witch it should be for any aquarium anyway.

Greatwhite

If you're concerned enough about it, I'm sure that you could cut a new hole carefully over to the side and "patch up" that old one with the cut out or a fresh piece of plastic...  Or, just buy a new canopy.  I don't think they are very expensive. (If I had $1 for every "WHOOPS!" that had me running back to the store.....)

You will get a little evaporation out that hole, and it will likely accumulate there... But really, anything electrical that is meant to sit over water should be sealed up internally already - right?   Like JetJumper suggested, a little clear silicone around the joint - just in case - might be all that's needed. :)