Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

where to purchase almond leaf extract?

Started by Aud, February 17, 2013, 10:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aud

hey guys title says it all, i'm wondering where could I find almond leaf extract in Ottawa, thanks for responding.

bergenm

I've never seen pure almond leaf extract around here, there is some in 'NutraFin Betta Plus' but it is probably not very much...

In the past I have just bought the dried leaves and tossed them in, they condition the water and act as a food source for the snails and shrimp.

You could always check with Big Als, Critter Jungle or La Niche...
Michael

exv152

All the major stores carry "blackwater extract" which essentially does the same thing. I believe it comes in a tetra aqua yellow bottle, with a brown label that says "blackwater extract". But if you want the leaves alone, you can just ask one of the LFS's and I'm sure they'd order it for you.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Aud

thanks it helps a lot! :) ill call big Al's and see if they do.

blueknight0303

Aud

Quote from: blueknight0303 on February 18, 2013, 02:48:30 PM
how about using peat moss?

i'm guessing you could use peat moss I dont have anyway. :p

exv152

Jack Watley (famous discus breeder) used Canadian peat moss to condition his water for discus. I read somewhere he used to use the peat moss that comes ready for use in your garden (the stuff you get from the garden centre). I imagine you'd put it in a media bag and rinse it somewhat. But I know eheim also sells peat moss pellets for your canister filter, and I've seen them at Big Als. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sas

I used the peat pellets that you could buy for the fluval systems at one time. Our water here is really really hard.
I quit trying to alter my water a while back though, I was spending so much time trying to change it that it took the fun out of the hobby.   :-\
So I now just try and work with my water parameters. I can't keep certain fish but there's lots of others that I can.

Aud

Quote from: exv152 on February 19, 2013, 09:17:42 AM
Jack Watley (famous discus breeder) used Canadian peat moss to condition his water for discus. I read somewhere he used to use the peat moss that comes ready for use in your garden (the stuff you get from the garden centre). I imagine you'd put it in a media bag and rinse it somewhat. But I know eheim also sells peat moss pellets for your canister filter, and I've seen them at Big Als. 
thanks a lot! Very helpful :)