Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

WOW, can this happen here

Started by charlie, February 22, 2013, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

I dunno, but the storm water pond across the street from my house has HUNDREDS of good sized goldfish about 4-5 inches long in it...there are actually some really nice looking ones in there!  It freezes over every winter, but that doesn't seem to affect them at all.
I haz reef tanks.

angelcraze

It reinforces the necessity to be careful when disposing of tank water, not to let any plants or whatever invade our rivers.  Certainly not releasing livestock.

On a side note, that fish didn't even look like a goldfish to me anymore, with the deep body.  It's too bad they are so invasive, they are pretty fish.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

zenins

Yes, it can happen here in Ontario, and does all the time.

Some hobbyists do release their goldfish into local ponds, streams and lakes when they don't want the fish  anymore.
They get too large for the bowl or the child is no longer interested in the fish or taking care of it .

Since goldfish are carp, they do well in our waters.

They are more aggressive at eating and stirring up the bottom of the body of water and that disrupts the native fish population.
The goldfish can also introduce parasites and disease to the native population.

The local fish shops that sell goldfish should have a standing offer to take back the fish when no longer wanted.
They can resell it or dispose of it in a proper manner to assure they don't get into the native waters ...
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

Nerine

Oscars have even been found in the Ottawa river! They are tough critters too!!

People should NEVER EVER dump their fish anywhere!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

angelcraze

OMG Oscars!!!  That makes me angry.  How can people be so ignorant?
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

zenins

Quote from: Nerine on February 23, 2013, 09:37:42 AM
Oscars have even been found in the Ottawa river! They are tough critters too!!

Maybe their former owners gave them fur coats ?  ;D

Ikea monkey anyone ?
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

charlie

Quote from: zenins on February 25, 2013, 10:17:23 PM
Maybe their former owners gave them fur coats ?  ;D

Ikea monkey anyone ?

;D

lucius

I read on another forum that someone has seen people releasing tilapia into the Ottawa river.

soleil1980

how can people be so ignorant... Pet shops should really think of informing people who buy fish what to do when they don't want them anymore... We need to get people informed!  I am a biologist and it makes me so mad when I read stories like this.  We can't forget about the pythons in the everglades and the kangaroos in europe... it's happening everywhere.
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)