Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

aquarium/pool sand in ottawa?

Started by angelcraze, February 23, 2013, 11:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcraze

Hello, a friend of mine recommended a store that sells billiards and swimming pool supplies to purchase sand for my 90g aquarium, but he couldn't remember the name.  He said that the store offers a mixed colour sand black/tan/white that looks natural at a good price.  I cannot find it via online or yellow pgs.

I really was looking for sand to cap a dirt substrate, that was inert and natural looking for the best price in Ottawa or locally.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I wasn't looking for light colours.  I have never used sand before, and wanted to know if anyone had anything to say.

Thank you.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

Stussi613

Most pool filter sand is white, or off white.  Search "Ottawa pool supply" on google and you'll find a comprehensive list of suppliers.
I haz reef tanks.

ceci

I went to pure water in the west end.....billiards, hot tubs and such I picked up a 50lb bag for $11 with tax just a few days ago.

Call places in advance, as one place I tried only had it outside in a storage container so it was frozen solid.

Love sand :)

angelcraze

exv152

Mermaid Pools, a 50lbs bag for ~ $10
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bitterman

Take a strong earth  magnet with you when looking at pool filter sand. some has enough iron content that is will increase the chance of impeller/shaft problems.

Bruce

lepageg

i just picked up a 60lb bag of utility sand at Rona the other day for about 5 bucks.

The only catch is you have to rise it alot but looks real nice.

zenins

Quote from: lepageg on February 23, 2013, 05:56:08 PM
i just picked up a 60lb bag of utility sand at Rona the other day for about 5 bucks.

The only catch is you have to rise it alot but looks real nice.

The swimming pool filter sand is very clean, usually a very quick rinse to get the dust off.
The sand usually has black flecks in it so it is not pure white.
It really brightens up your aquarium, so be prepared for the different look.
I have pool filer sand in most of my aquariums.
Rift Lake Africans and Loaches love to move it around, so you might get a different look each day ;)
Corys appreciate sand because gravel tends to wear down their barbels when looking for food.
Sand is manditory for my South American Eartheaters ( sand sifters )
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

angelcraze

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I have a lot of different options now.  Also for the info about the catfishes.  Although I don't have any yet, I was thinking about some polka dot botia one day.

soleil1980

Hi

I want white filter sand for my 60g.  I started looking in December and was told by all stores visited that they don't carry it during the winter.  I was waiting for March-April before going back but if you do find some sooner than please let me know!

In December I went to club piscine, rona and 2 small pool stores (one in gatineau and one in ottawa)
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

angelcraze

Soleil,
I found some sand at PureWater in Bells Corners.  My husband accidently ripped the bag when he took it out of the car, so here's a pic.  Is it white enough?  It's pretty light with little black flecks.  They had it in the back warehouse.  I will PM you.

Stussi613

Quote from: angelcraze on February 26, 2013, 10:11:49 AM
Soleil,
I found some sand at PureWater in Bells Corners.  My husband accidently ripped the bag when he took it out of the car, so here's a pic.  Is it white enough?  It's pretty light with little black flecks.  They had it in the back warehouse.  I will PM you.

That is the same stuff I had in my discus tank for two years, it's very white in the water.

Stuart
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Gotta love a white sandbed... the trick is keeping it that way. :)

Laura

Don't keep brig/diffusa snails with it. It seems to bother them to such a degree that they would prefer to shut down rather than walk around and eat.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Stussi613

Quote from: Greatwhite on February 26, 2013, 10:28:33 AM
Gotta love a white sandbed... the trick is keeping it that way. :)

I was constantly skimming a layer off the surface and replacing it in mine for this exact reason...
I haz reef tanks.

newtchaplin

Quote from: zenins on February 25, 2013, 10:15:14 PM
The swimming pool filter sand is very clean, usually a very quick rinse to get the dust off.
The sand usually has black flecks in it so it is not pure white.
It really brightens up your aquarium, so be prepared for the different look.
I have pool filer sand in most of my aquariums.
Rift Lake Africans and Loaches love to move it around, so you might get a different look each day ;)
Corys appreciate sand because gravel tends to wear down their barbels when looking for food.
Sand is manditory for my South American Eartheaters ( sand sifters )

Can you plant anything in that kind of sand? I know flourite sand is good for that, but wondering if pool sand would work.

zenins

Quote from: newtchaplin on February 28, 2013, 06:44:16 PM
Can you plant anything in that kind of sand? I know flourite sand is good for that, but wondering if pool sand would work.
The only plant that does okay for me in sand is Valsineria.
Sometimes Anubias does okay because the stem is above the substrate and the roots go down into the sand.
In both cases some liquid fertilizer suppliment or PMDD dosing is required to keep the plants in good shape.
If you want to grow any other plants, you will have to use shallow pots or trays with soil in them, if your sand bed is thick enough, you can hide the pots in it, but not very well.
The pots can also be hidden behind a rock pile too ;)

Good Luck

Zenin

Shawn84

I have good luck with planting sword and crypt on sand. My 55G is fill with silica sand. They are growing fine without any fert or additive. Only thing they get is the poop of the fish.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

zenins

Quote from: Shawn84 on February 28, 2013, 07:10:32 PM
I have good luck with planting sword and crypt on sand. My 55G is fill with silica sand. They are growing fine without any fert or additive. Only thing they get is the poop of the fish.
Sure, I have had pygmy chain swords do okay, but regular Amazon swords need more feeding than sand or fish poop can supply ... well, that is the way it worked for me  ;)
Zenin

angelcraze

Quote from: zenins on February 28, 2013, 06:57:45 PM
If you want to grow any other plants, you will have to use shallow pots or trays with soil in them, if your sand bed is thick enough, you can hide the pots in it, but not very well.
The pots can also be hidden behind a rock pile too ;)

Good Luck

This might be a stupid question, idk, but could you just cap a soil substrate layer with say about 2" or so of sand?  To keep the dirt from floating up and provide ample nutrients for root plants?