Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frozen Fish

Started by Nerine, February 25, 2013, 08:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Day 1: Welllllll helped a friend move, and we moved a lot of critters, and the fish got frozen. Wow....I have never felt fish water so icy (other than the rivers in the winter :P and these weren't mudpuppies!!) The poor Synodontis and cichlid were toast...or so I thought!! and there was 1 snail....
Day 2: stayed in a hotel, fish had to stay in their little bins after many hours of driving, we were too tired to really change water (should have though)

Day 3: They were belly up (except the snail, was wandering about) and the water was ICE. I added a few cups of warm water and kept doing that till it was up several degrees, then I left it to warm a little slower...and then after being belly up (I thought for SURE they were going to die) the Syno flipped to it's side!! and the cichlid began swimming about.

Day 4: Syno is now right side up but still not moving. Cichlid is still fine. Snail, still wandering.

Day 5 (today): Syno is now moving about slowly, cichlid is still bopping about and the snail, still wandering!

Whew!! They aren't out of the woods yet...they are still in quarantine and hoping they fully recover...but these 2 fish, were NOT expected to make the trip (due to one not in great health to start) and they both so far have survived despite poor conditions!! (it was -30c for part of our journey)

Here's hoping they stay alive!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Nerine

So far so good! they are now swimming about :D
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Greatwhite

WOW. Very cool to hear they survived being nearly frozen. :)

Darth

thats amazing, their resilience is remarkable

Peekay

Wow.  Glad they're coming around... Sometimes it's amazing the resilience of these creatures.  I had pond snails emerge from a substrate that was a frozen block from sitting in a bucket outdoors! 

Nerine

So far they are still alive!!!!

Nerine

It's been a month! they are still alive :) THey are moving out of quarantine today!!

cdylnicki