Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

High phosphate levels

Started by Rumble Fish, February 27, 2013, 01:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumble Fish

I've recently taken a renewed interest in my tanks and did some water testing the other day, something I haven't done in awhile. I've been a bit delinquent with water changes for a bit too mostly jut topping up; my 55g will loose a good couple of gallons every few days. My tanks have been running problem free more or less for years so I mostly just enjoy them. Anyway, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 30-40 (a bit high I know) PH low 6s, phosphates through the roof!
I've tested my city of Ottawa tap water and I get no reading so it must be something I'm introducing to the tank. I feed my fish a variety of foods (though not all at once) tetra min pro crisps, omega one flakes, algae wafers, spirulina discs, shrimp pellets (rarely) and also freeze dried bloodworm once a week.  Would consider myself an under feeder, occasionally missing a day if work is buy and not worrying about leaving for the week-end.  I use Big Al's multipurpose water conditioner when adding water and fertilize (minimally) with Leaf Zone 0-0-3 and occasional (maybe once a year?) a small piece of Jobe's 16-2-6 plant spike under my 2 lotus bulbs.
Can anyone see why my phosphates would be so high? Any suggestions?  Ive seen phos-zorb at the LFS which I'm assuming will help me with the phosphate issue. Is there a natural way to remove nitrates aside from water changes?  I'm going to be more consistent with my liquid fertilizer as I understand the potassium helps the plants synthesize the phosphates (and nitrate?).
Thanks for any input 8). BTW I've started regular water changes to lower the nitrates and phosphates regardless.
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish

Dan

Any type of surface plants has always worked at controlling nitrates for me...something to do with the aerial advantage.

I havefound Salvinia to be especially good....

blueknight0303

not physically removing water and just topping off your lost water will not change the amount of phosphates in your tank. water change is necessary even if not frequent. plants will help a lot in cleaning tanks and decrease the number of water changes.

exv152

How old is your phosphate test kit? They tend to be inaccurate after a short shelf life. But if your nitrates are high, most likely your phosphates are too. Increase the plant mass in your tank, reduce the fish population, reduce feeding, and do large water changes of 50% a few times a week and you should be able to reset your system. Hornwort apparently really likes phosphates.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Rumble Fish

Thanks or the advice!
The test kit is probable a few years old now. The tanks fairly well planted with vals (jungle ans spiral) along the back some crypts in front of them. I have anubias attached to driftwood that's is slowly dying off over the years and java fern as well. An aponogeton I'm waiting to grow again is also at the back and two lotus at the front. Maybe I'll get some floating plants to help out. Anyone have some duckweed? Just kidding  8) ill get some hornwort.
I was just surprised that the phosphate level was so high but maybe it is the test kit. I don't have any major algae problems just a surface film that builds up on he glass every few weeks.  I'm going to start up regular weekly water changes again and fertilize regularly as well.  Ideally I'd like my PH a little higher too.
My summer plan is to build a new stand to incorporate a sump and I'm seriously considering an algae scrubber.  Still at the the reading/research phase at the moment. Any input on this?

harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

blueknight0303

Quote from: Rumble Fish on February 27, 2013, 07:48:59 PM
My summer plan is to build a new stand to incorporate a sump and I'm seriously considering an algae scrubber.  Still at the the reading/research phase at the moment. Any input on this?

you and i have the same plan.  ;D

Dan

Quote from: Rumble Fish on February 27, 2013, 07:48:59 PM
Thanks or the advice!
The test kit is probable a few years old now. The tanks fairly well planted with vals (jungle ans spiral) along the back some crypts in front of them. I have anubias attached to driftwood that's is slowly dying off over the years and java fern as well. An aponogeton I'm waiting to grow again is also at the back and two lotus at the front. Maybe I'll get some floating plants to help out. Anyone have some duckweed? Just kidding  8) ill get some hornwort.
I was just surprised that the phosphate level was so high but maybe it is the test kit. I don't have any major algae problems just a surface film that builds up on he glass every few weeks.  I'm going to start up regular weekly water changes again and fertilize regularly as well.  Ideally I'd like my PH a little higher too.

Algea Scrubber?

Stussi613

Quote from: Dan on February 28, 2013, 10:54:30 PM
Algea Scrubber?

You create an area that is outside the main tank, but in the water flow, that is perfect for promoting algae growth...the idea is that the algae will grow there and not in your tank. There are lots of videos on DIY versions on youtube and people that use them swear by them.  The concept is founded by natural water systems...cool stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_scrubber
I haz reef tanks.

Rumble Fish

There's also a forum obout the subject you can follow at www.algaescrubber.net. Once I started thinking about it, it seems to be the filtering method that makes the most sense.