Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Wave Makers and Water Turbulence

Started by Jimbo, February 27, 2013, 03:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

Anyone had any success with wave makers?

Once again the books, magazines, and forums give mixed reviews on wave makers. A common complaint is the need for deeper tanks to contend with the fluctuating water level, the noise they can produce, and the additional salt creep from the waves.

I've noticed there seem to be 2 main camps for creating waves:

• Surge devices
  • Wave makers/wave timer devices

I've read that wave makers can simulate a good wave action in an aquarium, they provide good random turbulent flow, however they can be expensive.

I've also read regular power heads and return pumps can do the same, the main draw back is that you don't get the wave effect.

Does anyone have any opinions on which device/method they use, and recommendations for creating the random turbulent flow required for healthy corals.

Greatwhite

I've seen people with the Vortech systems, which are very pricey.  They have cool lagoon modes, and wave making modes, and run pretty quiet.  They are not silent...

I've also seen addons for Koralia powerheads that just spin around, causing the direction of the water flow to change.  People I've spoken to who use these seem to love them..

You can also get a spinning thing like the Koralia addon that snaps onto the end of a lock-line return.

Wave makers don't necessarily have to "make waves".. It's all about fluctuating the current, which fish and corals love...

Darth

I have often looked into this option and have used power heads on timers I haven't seen any benefit to my tank, I believe it's more of a "wow this is cool" kinda thing. I have 4 power heads in my 56 that cause enough flow and movement in my opinion, I really thing having power-heads on a timer or a wave-maker is strictly a look at what I can do thing, it is not necessary or more beneficial then reg power-heads

Greatwhite

I think there are 2 things that attract people to wave makers/etc...

1) nice shimmer effect with LEDs when you have ripples up top
2) water moving back and forth has nice effects on long soft corals like torches... and on anemones...

Power heads on timers could also dial down the flow to 50% by shutting off 2 of  your 4 powerheads at night.  The problem is, I have yet to find a powerhead that is 100% reliable to start back up when the power comes back on, and start up blowing forward every time!!!

Jimbo

Feivel

Quote from: Greatwhite on February 27, 2013, 05:11:29 PM
I think there are 2 things that attract people to wave makers/etc...

1) nice shimmer effect with LEDs when you have ripples up top
2) water moving back and forth has nice effects on long soft corals like torches... and on anemones...

Power heads on timers could also dial down the flow to 50% by shutting off 2 of  your 4 powerheads at night.  The problem is, I have yet to find a powerhead that is 100% reliable to start back up when the power comes back on, and start up blowing forward every time!!!

True that

Wooki

Quote from: Jimbo on February 27, 2013, 03:58:59 PM
Anyone had any success with wave makers?

I have a 180 and just got the new Tunze nano wavebox (rated up to 210) and much smaller and cheaper than the full sized wavebox.  All I can say is that I love it.  I've had power heads on wave making mode with a controller, but nothing compares to this wave box.  It makes waves top to bottom, on the opposite end of the tank.  So if you have a lot of LPS like me it makes everything sway and it looks great.  You still need a regular power head to have flow once in a while, but not too many of them. 
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts