Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Stripped a fish for the first time...

Started by Stussi613, March 04, 2013, 09:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

Yellow lab that was holding for at least three weeks.

9 cute little babies!  Leaving them in a breeder net until mommy gets some food and rest back into her system.

I've got another female who's holding in the main tank, but I don't want to tear it apart since its only been up and running for 2 weeks.
I haz reef tanks.

Shawn84

Congrats on the fry. They sure breed for pretty fast ehhh.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Stussi613

Quote from: Shawn84 on March 04, 2013, 09:57:11 PM
Congrats on the fry. They sure breed for pretty fast ehhh.

Remember when I was looking at them that night and I told Andre I was pretty sure she was holding?  She definitely was...lol.
I haz reef tanks.

sylros

Already? Didn't you just get them recently? lol Congrats nevertheless!

Stussi613

Quote from: sylros on March 04, 2013, 10:16:52 PM
Already? Didn't you just get them recently? lol Congrats nevertheless!

Three weeks ago tonight!
I haz reef tanks.

Shawn84

How was stripping the fish? I always wanted to try.
A bunch a fishes.....

Stussi613

Nerve wracking!  I dropped her into the bowl with half the fry still in her mouth at one point, she's still only 2" so it was hard to really get her mouth open. I used a twist tie with a loop on one end like I saw in a youtube video and it worked well.
I haz reef tanks.

Shawn84

A bunch a fishes.....

Stussi613

I did it exactly like this guy does it in this video:

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/Nocw1JFPajA[/embed]

Check out the update video on his fish room too, its crazy!
I haz reef tanks.

Shawn84

A bunch a fishes.....

sas

Congrats on the fry and your first strip  :)
I remember the first time I stripped, it was a yellow lab as well, my hands were shaking so badly I dropped her back into the tank as well.
I just used my fingernail, to hold her mouth open.
It's really cool how the fry just come flowing out.

Cheebs

Wow, very cool! Keep us updated for sure... Breeding has always been something I've wanted to try, fresh or saltwater. It's a neat, rewarding way of "creating life" in your home :)

torin32

Breeding Africans is prety much heres a male and a female bamm done.  Try not to let them mix keep the lines pure.  It is easy to identify and you know what your getting.  Go to big you no were and see the mixed tank wow.  I find Mabuna are the worst they breed with there kind and it matters not what kind they are.  When i used to strip i used a tooth pick in a bowl of water and just move here back and forth and theyll all come out.  Have fun with the babies I hope the all grow big and old.

fishmonger

Just curious, my ex had yellow lab fry all the time, and never ever stripped a fish, why not let nature take its course? 

Stussi613

Quote from: fishmonger on March 22, 2013, 09:35:39 PM
Just curious, my ex had yellow lab fry all the time, and never ever stripped a fish, why not let nature take its course? 

I wanted to get the babies out of her before putting her in the main tank.  I have two others holding in the main tank now and the chances of me catching them, and any of the fry surviving with the bigger fish in the tank, are slim to none.
I haz reef tanks.