Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cherry shrimp compatibility

Started by Nyx, March 16, 2013, 09:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

We recently put a bunch of rili (cherry) shrimp in our tank and were things of adding some Maccullochi rainbows. Are these or any other smaller rainbows safe with the shrimp? I don't want to serve up the shrimp as a smorgasbord for any fish.
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

Jeff1192

Basically if the adults fit in the fishes mouth they'll get eaten. I have kept cherries with all sorts of sizes of fish. You just have to realize that if you don't have a ton of hiding spaces most of the babies will be eaten. My tanks are always heavily planted so I get a decent survival rate. But if the fish is big enough to eat the adults easily then it's probably only a matter of time before they all get picked off.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Nyx

Thanks. We've been keeping several shrimp types with Endler's livebearers, oto cats, dwarf chain botias and khuli loaches with no problem for a long time but we recently did a big tank overhaul, clearing out a lot of the plants, and we restocked with only rili shrimp. We also wanted to add something a little bit bigger than the Endlers to the tank and weren't sure as to whether or not the shrimp would get eaten.
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers