Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Light fixture with no legs

Started by dnas17, March 27, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

Recently my light fixture (48" long for my 75 gallon reef) legs broke off (the ones that held it a few inches above the ground) anyway my fish have been without light for a couple days because I am not sure if its just a good idea to lay the fixture across the top of the tank. So I'm wondering does anyone here do this? Its a T5 light fixture by the way I also do have a glass top. Thanks.

Stussi613

Will it rest on the sides at the top of the tank, or on the glass?

If its not to heavy I wouldn't worry about it on the glass, but if it is it would be better if it was on the top braces.
I haz reef tanks.

dnas17

It would rest on the upper rim of the tank so no it would be right above the glass

Stussi613

Then I think you'll be fine. I have my 24" LED panels sitting directly on my glass canopy sections on my tank.

I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

You have a glass top on your tank?  You are going to get a lot of excess heat from your lights without air between the top and the light.  Slide a couple strips of wood (2x4 or whatever you can rustle up) front to back, and then lay the fixture across those.

It ain't gonna be pretty, but at least you're not going to overheat the light, or explode the glass top and electrocute anything.

dnas17

Do you think the 2'4 will put any stress on the tank frame? Last thing I need here is my tank cracking or smashing.

Greatwhite

No more stress than the legs put. And it should only be temporary until you can find new legs.