Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Stocking questions, again...

Started by Yannickmonfils, April 07, 2013, 08:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yannickmonfils

Ok, I would like to have advice...

Im setting up a 32 gallon long, with a 26 gallon sump. Reef octopus skimmer rated 100g, tlf with phosban, tlf with carbon, may be dosing carbon (nopox) if needed.

That was for setup, now here is a list of fish that I would like in it. I would like to know if it is possible, and ok in term of fish stress/aggressiveness...

Occelaris clown x2
Midas Blenny
Coral Beauty angel
Green mandarin
Yellow watchman Goby
(If there is other/better fish that would make nice addition feel free to say so :)

And for invert:
Bloodfire shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
Blue coral banded shrimp (smaller and less aggressive that normal coral banded..
Pepermint shrimp x2
Porcelain crab
Emerald crab

Any idea / comments?

dnas17

I've heard that unless you have a TON of live rock with a abundance of copepods/fuge that you would be wasting your time with a mandarin. Also that tank may be a little small for the coral beauty I've heard they're more suited for 50+ tanks but I personally don't see a problem with it.

Nicolas

Maybe 32 gallons is a little bit small for a coral beauty and if you want corals watch him because they are not all reef safe

Greatwhite

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about time being wasted with a mandarin.  It will most certainly starve and die.  You need a big tank with lots if live rock and copepods.

I suspect that is what was hinted at, but I would rather be up front and paint a clear picture of what will happen with that fish in a small tank.

I upgraded from a 55 to 90 so that I could safely keep a mandarin.

Coral beauties are better with a little more space as well.

Stick with a couple clowns and smaller fish like gobies. They are good in smaller spaces and will be a little more resilient if water params fluctuate.

Greatwhite

Midas blennies also don't get along well with some gobies.

Philnashbass

I have a 4" midas blenny housed with a small mandarin goby and pistol shrimp/watchman. All are in my 3 year old 120 gal system-there have never been any conflicts.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

dnas17

If you want some recommendations, I love Firefish both the orange/white and the purples. Truly beautiful fish. Six Line Wrasse are also some neat fish as are Longnose Hawkfish.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Philnashbass on April 07, 2013, 10:17:43 PM
I have a 4" midas blenny housed with a small mandarin goby and pistol shrimp/watchman. All are in my 3 year old 120 gal system-there have never been any conflicts.

You have them in a 120g...  Not a 30. That is why there is not a conflict.  :). Small territorial fish don't need a lot of space, but more than a 30 can offer. :)

Greatwhite

Also, mandarin dragonets are not gobies. Just sayin'. :). I was talking about little gobies like clown gobies, etc.

I have also heard that clown gobies are territorial to their own kind, but they don't take a lot of space to call home.  And, they don't really leave their spots much.

Yannickmonfils

Any suggestion for main fish? Was going for coral beauty but some said it would be a bit too small. I have seen a few in smaller setup but I rly dont want to stress the fish... Would like to have insight on a nice fish to replace it :)

Would be 2x clown, watchman goby, midas blenny and a great "main" fish.    Any idea?

Hookup

Looks like you've got a good short-list.  Possibly keep your eyes open for a Flame-Prawn gobie pair as your "main fish".  I know they are bottom dewellers, but they are pretty awesome looking. 

ray

There is smaller angels available,either Cherub or flame back which would be could in that size tank.i can get regularly

Ray