Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Demsalfly Larvae

Started by newtchaplin, April 16, 2013, 10:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newtchaplin

Not sure how it happened, but I was doing a water change in my 40 gallon and I found 2 aquatic earth worms, and a Demsalfly Larvae.  By the size of it I would say it is 6-8 months of age.  I did some research and they can stay underwater for 1-3 years, before emerging.  Now I can understand getting it from plants or something like that but my 40 is all fake plants, with blue and white pea gravel.  Has anyone gotten them before?

bergenm

Probably laid in your tank last year and been kicking around since.

A couple of years ago I started losing Crystal Red Shrimp from one of my tanks, turned out to be a dragon fly larva eating them.

As for earthworms, I am always surprised by their ability to live fully submersed in the foam sponge of my pond filter...
Michael

Nerine

Yep I used to get these all the time when I was buying plants!!! they ate my fry  >:(
There used to be a whole thread around here I started once because I found one in my tank years ago!! I ended up freezing it hahaha
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts