Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rainbow Cichlid - says it also eats algae?

Started by ottawa_fry22, May 10, 2013, 05:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Anyone have any experience with this fish? I do get some light green slim algae on rocks,etc. Cute looking fish. 5 inches max and semi aggressive.

http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesNWCichlid.php?id=81

Please share any experience or thoughts.  ;)

Thanks,
Stephanie

75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

Montrealguy

It's a sociable omnivore - peaceful when not breeding, responsive and active. It does best in pairs, in a 3 foot tank. It eats algae and everything else, but it won't clean a tank. It picks at algae.

I love the species - it's not the prettiest or the most complex cichlid, but in hard water with room to move, they are like friendly underwater dogs.

ottawa_fry22

Thanks for the reply again. I might order some of these in as well with more earth eaters. I get that light green slime algae on plants and on the glass.  It comes off easy..and I have a submersed UV sterilizer running always..probably algae cuz of not alot of plants to outcompete it..and need co2. Not bad looking fish though..so may try them and see how it goes.
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

Montrealguy

Don't do it with Geophagine eartheaters. Rainbows are peaceful for Central American cichlids, but a peaceful Nicaraguan cichlid will clean the clocks of a peaceful Colombian eartheater. The different region has a different scale of what is aggressive, and the only earthaeters I can think of that might do okay with CA cichlids might be red-humps, or the southern Pearl eartheaters and Gymnogeophagus types.
I always try not to mix geographic regions - - it's not just water needs (CA hard, eartheater soft) , but also levels of territoriality and fighting ability.