Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need Help Diving into African Cichlids for 1st Time

Started by masoud100, May 22, 2013, 10:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masoud100

Instead of having rocks can I just put a aquarium decoration which looks like rocks with holes. It will cost me about $150. Here is the pic...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89001056@N03/8821077240/

masoud100

I have now setup my tank woth carib sea sand and lace rocks ( 35lbs). No fish currently in it as I am cycling the tank now. When shoild I do a water change? Next day? And how much water change should I do? The dust has been settled and now the tank is 85 percent visable.

Mike L

Don't change the water at all. Keep an eye on water parameters though. I use tetra safe start to speed process. Works very well.

masoud100

I am using 2 hang on filters from my previous setup. But should I not water change to make the water completly clear.

1macuser

No, let go through its cycle stage which could take 4 weeks

masoud100

Even if I am using filters from previous setup. Also the sand I originally purchased 55lbs but when I put 40lbs the tank already looks full. Do I need to put the other 15lbs or no

1macuser

That might help cut down the cycling time, the biggest thing is to keep an eye on your parameter readings as there lots of other factors that will influence them. One of the biggest problems of people loosing fish when starting is that they go too fast and tanks don't finish cycling.
Your water will look clear now and might for the next 2 weeks or so but then the odds are will get cloudy and your parameters will be out of wack. Don't make the mistake of rushing it

Stussi613

If you left the old tank running until you made the change, and then changed quickly over to the new setup your filters may have retained the cycle.  If that's the case and you wait 4 weeks without some source of ammonia in the tank you will lose the cycle.  If you waited 24-48 hours with the filters off you've lost most of the bacteria that would have been in there, again you'll need some source of ammonia to keep things going.

I'd suggest getting some pure ammonia to establish/build up the cycle. Or you could use a few hardy fish like danios, then get rid of them when the tank is established.
I haz reef tanks.

masoud100

Quote from: Stussi613 on May 26, 2013, 05:50:06 PM
If you left the old tank running until you made the change, and then changed quickly over to the new setup your filters may have retained the cycle.  If that's the case and you wait 4 weeks without some source of ammonia in the tank you will lose the cycle.  If you waited 24-48 hours with the filters off you've lost most of the bacteria that would have been in there, again you'll need some source of ammonia to keep things going.

I'd suggest getting some pure ammonia to establish/build up the cycle. Or you could use a few hardy fish like danios, then get rid of them when the tank is established.

Can I keep the danios with my africans or do I have to take it out. Giant danios

Stussi613

Quote from: masoud100 on May 26, 2013, 05:58:34 PM
Can I keep the danios with my africans or do I have to take it out. Giant danios

Not if you want them to live  :)
I haz reef tanks.

masoud100

Quote from: Stussi613 on May 27, 2013, 12:07:09 AM
Not if you want them to live  :)

I cracked when I read that.

Anyways my uncle has an African cichlid tank set up with many fry's.

So I will put 2 red zebra tomorrow so that I don't lose the cycle. And since they are about 1-2 inch in size and have 55 gallon to themselves they should not fight eachother. Is that a good idea?

My final stocking list will probably be:
(2) Pseudotropheus sp. Acei
(3) Red Zebra
(2) Rusty Cichlid
(2) Cynotilapia afra4