Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What brand of Salt do people use?

Started by Herstead, May 23, 2013, 12:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herstead

I am just wondering what salt brands people use and why.

We have not bought are salt yet but currently our plan is to use Instant Ocean and correct as needed just like Randy Holmes-Farley Ph.D and LiveAquaria.

- Jonathan

Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Papou

Instant Ocean here, dose with bio cal

Jimbo

Reef crystals. Dose with bicarbinate of soda.

Feivel

Is it just me or does anybody else notice their parameters drop after a water change .... weird ....

Herstead

Since I am just starting I can only parrot what I read on reef central but when looking up salt that seems to happen (water changes lowering stats) when one of two things are happening. Either your tank runs higher parameters then the salt brand or refractometer is not calibrated. Apparently calibrating with RO/DI like many people do can have it off by up to 0.003 so it may not be full strength. Those are at least the most common reasons it seems.

Edited for clarity.
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.