Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I really wish...

Started by aidensmomma2000, November 15, 2005, 08:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidensmomma2000

I know we've talked about all this before, I'm really just venting here...

I really wish that pet stores a) trained their staff better b) paid staff higher to retain educated staff.

Today, I wont say where to avoid potential liability, I was ready to pull my hair out.

I asked to buy the feeder guppies that were in the halfbeak tank. She told me that the guppies were half beaks. I was like, nonono THESE fish (pointing to the guppies) and she said they were "half beak guppies, its what kind of guppy it is".  :roll:

She also said that the rosie reds were in fact guppies. I argued with her, explained they were goldfish. She said they looked more like guppies than goldfish, and that on the order sheet it said "rosie red guppies"... now I may be wrong, but in the 3 years I have been giving feeders to my gars, they have always been goldfish.  I think she's lying.  :wink:

***I have been corrected- they are minnows   :D

This is after she told me that I had to buy twelve and they didnt come individually. I said that both ******* and **** sold them to me individually- theyre 25 cents each. So she did.

(Took the names out- was pointed out this might give it away  :wink: )

And yes, her tag said "fish department", I was hoping she was borrowed from else where.

I should add that she was kind enough to let Aiden pet a lizard, and was friendly. Just frustratingly uneducated for her department.

frollo

So the moral of this story is...make sure you are informed otherwise buyer beware! (Actually this goes for anything commercial business not just lfs.)

NjOyRiD

often i have to argu with pet shops...

last time, the guy put co2 bottle IN the tank..LOL
I just told him, read the instructions :D
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

kennyman

You have many choices of where and how to spend your money. I go to a store I know I can trust. Even when some other place I do not respect has someting on sale for $5 cheeper I buy it at my favorite shop because I support how they do things :)

It's just like voting. Each of us makes no difference but when many of us feel the same it makes all the difference in the world.

Julie

That same store wanted to sell me a background for my tank which had dents/scratches in the first 2 inches.  I explained I didn't want that piece, could they possibly cut off the first 2 inches and then sell me the rest of the piece from there.    They refused, so I said no and I left.  This is not the norm at this store, a couple of the employees weren't there at the time- specifically the one that sells ice to eskimos.  :wink:  :wink:

Julie

darkdep

I know how you feel Julie.  I've had some pretty bad LFS experiences too.  But I have to say that in the last couple months I've had really good luck at several places, mostly because if I find someone knowledgable that works there, I will try to make sure I ask for them whenever I'm there.  If I go to my favorite fish store and those people aren't working, I'll generally go back the next day now.

clouxles

You get what you pay for... and sometimes it's worth paying a little more for service and knowledge

You want better trained staff they get paid more prices go up you look for a better deal - a store that most likely does not train as well, pays employees less and you get less (service typically sometimes product) ... vicious circle best example Those big flashy electronic stores... (horror stories)...
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

Julie

Hi, I don't think this store is lacking anything.

Julie

Evan

I had a lfs guy once tell me that all of the parameters in his Discus tank were 0.  Even GH +KH.  I think not.

darkdep

Quote from: "Evan"I had a lfs guy once tell me that all of the parameters in his Discus tank were 0.  Even GH +KH.  I think not.

Including the number of Discus in his tank, no doubt.

Nelson

We certainly like to trash LFS's and their employees don't we?  Nothing implied, just an observation.

darkdep

Part of the hobby I guess.  When I was a hardcore computer guy I used to trash computer stores and their employee's for the same reasons...

To turn it around a bit, here are some EXCELLENT LFS Employee's I've dealt with:

- Mike and Squeeker at SP Kanata
- Stephan at SP Barrhaven
- The manager at SP Merivale (blonde girl, name escapes me)

aidensmomma2000

Quote from: "Nelson"We certainly like to trash LFS's and their employees don't we?  Nothing implied, just an observation.

I really prefer if someone doesn't know they say so- "I'm not sure, but I'll find out" seems like a more professional response than trying to convince me a half beak is a guppy, and a minnow is a guppy  :roll:

AdamR

Mike at SP Kanata is very good.

Who is Squeeker?

mseguin

To be fair, half beaks are livebearers. :-)
For such a peaceful hobby, aquaculture sure does bring a lot of anger. (Not referring to this case, just in general it seems).

darkdep

Squeeker is on the forums here...I see her at ovas meetings, talk to her in the store...and actually don't know her real name :lol:

squeeker

Hehe, thanks, Darkdep!  My name is Trish :-)

Nelson

Quote from: "squeeker"Hehe, thanks, Darkdep!  My name is Trish :-)

Hello Trish...my on-line name is Nelson, but my real name is Nelson :D

squeeker

Nice to meet you, Nelson Nelson!

Sailfin

I would like to vent!   :lol:   You know what really sucks.....I went to Big Als (Innes Rd)......I'm not too fond of the employees there!   I went there Friday and saturday....  Friday, I was looking to be served, a long with several others.....where are the employees???  they were in there little gangs chatting!   What kind of work place puts up with this?   I want to work there so I can chat and get paid!  Then on Saturday, I was at the cash paying my items.....The young girl cashier is on the phone, personal phone call of course!  And she doesn't get off the phone for a second to serve the customers!   She was so involved into her phone call that she didn't want to put my name in the computer for the Big Als points system program, nor could she spell my name, which is really easy to spell!      Now, I read over and over how you people think that the manager there is so great......But he cannot manage his employees!    If I was the manager there, that cashiers butt would of been out the door! If she wants to talk on the phone, do so at home!    And for those for you that think that this is bashing the store....it isn't!   I'm simply putting down situations that this store needs to clean ups its act!  I walk into Superpet, and the employees always greet you when you're in a certain section trying to help or ask any question that you may have.