Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MACRO ALGEA

Started by veron, June 02, 2013, 05:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veron

I'd like to see if anyone is still using Macro as part of there water filtration in there sump.
Most use Cheato but I always found stuff like Racemosa etc,, to be faster growing.

JetJumper

Quote from: veron on June 02, 2013, 05:29:26 AM
I'd like to see if anyone is still using Macro as part of there water filtration in there sump.
Most use Cheato but I always found stuff like Racemosa etc,, to be faster growing.

Isn't there the possibility of Racemosa going Sexual and spreading spores?
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

veron

always possible but I've never had an issue with it. Need some for my sump. 8)

redbelly

I have cheato in my overflows, but barely any when compared to the total system volume.

I run good quality carbon and phosban and I don't find that my chaeto grows very much at all though...

Harris625

The filtration can be best performed with the help of powerhead. As it provide the better flow of water in the tank.

montisaurus

Yes, I have almost every type of macro algae that i've ever read about  ???
some of them come & go, most of them stick around

It's all emerged from nowhere on my main pieces of liverock in my display -  I do not have a sump. I'd say it performs most of the filtration duties in my tank. Nitrates undetectable, Phosphates >0.02 
I trim it all back every few months, and seems every time I go in to prune the macro i've got, I come out and go straight to Google to research a new macro i've discovered!

PS... if anybody needs macro, let me know - I'll have to refer to my inventory and price list :P  8)

Tripwyr

Quote from: montisaurus on June 09, 2013, 01:20:59 PMPS... if anybody needs macro, let me know - I'll have to refer to my inventory and price list :P  8)

I sent you a PM.