Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

home-made solution/remove algae from rocks,etc

Started by ottawa_fry22, June 07, 2013, 02:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Hey all,

Just would like to ask about a solution to removing certain algaes from rocks or other objects that have been sitting in tank. I heard of mixing water with a small amount of bleach in a pail that you want to soak large rocks or whatever in to remove algae.

It worked good from what I remember. Im sure most of the forum will know what Im talking about.  Its been so long since I tried it so would appreciate some tips on making the solution to soak a few things in cuz scrubbing not working so well on stuff like coconut huts covered with hair/beard algae..I get slim green algae too that can end up staining some things.

Please explain the safe and proper mix measurement.

Thanks,
Stephanie
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

exv152

There's no exact solution for that, but a rough %5-10 bleach solution in water has worked well for me.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Just run your decoration under hot water from the tap for a couple of seconds and safe yourself the trouble messing with bleach. I only use bleach for disinfecting or re-charging of filter material.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

new_hobby

The hot water from the tap is not hot enough so I usually boil the water, drop all the decorations in a container, and pour boil water on them, put back the decoration back in the tank, a few days later, all the algae will be gone.

ottawa_fry22

Thanks just wanted to make sure to be safe. And no..hot water and scrubbing stuff with a brush dont get this algae off things.
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

Dan

I use a 5 gallon pail, tap water and 1/4 cup of pool chlorine. Let sit over night and you are done. Absolutely no scrubbing involved. Just rinse of very thoroughly and you are good to go (until the smell is gone). Have been doing this for a few years with no issues.

magnosis

For things I can take out of the tank, boiling water has worked well for me. If possible I bathe for a couple minutes, but plastic ornaments and some glues wont like that so just dip for 10-15 secs. Even if it doesn't come out all shiny, the algae will likely have died and will fall off soon.

I never used bleach exept for disinfecting a new, empty tank.  I use potassium permanganate, another strong oxydant that (I think) is less harmful live plants. You only need a pinch, just enough to turn the water dark pink but not purple. Ask for it at the pharmacy.

For things that can't be taken out of the tank, I've been successful with localized doses of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). Dose no more than 5ml per gallon. I dosed 2.5ml per gallon, with a syringe directly on affected areas, 3 days in a row. It will create tons of tiny bubble like sparkling water - actually O2 that fish love. 3 days, then do a  25 to 50% water change and watch nitrates & ammonia resulting from dying algae.

You may want to research that method a bit, and take with a grain of salt because its not a widely accepted practice and some people have had mixed results. It's always worked for me. But i did kill a lot of fragile plants too, like HC and some grass and whatnot... Be careful :)