Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Congo Tetras

Started by magnosis, June 20, 2013, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Is anyone keeping Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus)?

How do they compare with some of the more commonly available tetras (e.g. Cardinals & Neons) in term of hardiness, diet, ph, harness and water temperature?

The female Congo Tetras are gorgeous!

source: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009/show180.html

Shawn84

Ask jetstream he been keeping them for years. They are hardy from my understanding and does get much bigger then your typical tetras.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

daworldisblack

Wolfiewill has a 90G planted with them:

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

robt18

Pretty tough fish, can occassionally be nippy but i haven't ever had problems with them... They will hold their ground if something tries to push them around though. It's the males that get the nice fins and colours, the females usually lack any colour. They can handle warmer water, love frozen food but will take prepared no problem, can grow up to a couple inches and like some current to swim in.

Check out yellow-tail congos as well, a little harder to come by, but fantastic looking fish.

wrm130

Angelcraze also has them and managed to get them to breed :)

zenins

Quote from: robt18 on June 20, 2013, 01:43:25 PM
Pretty tough fish, can occassionally be nippy but i haven't ever had problems with them... They will hold their ground if something tries to push them around though. It's the males that get the nice fins and colours, the females usually lack any colour. They can handle warmer water, love frozen food but will take prepared no problem, can grow up to a couple inches and like some current to swim in.

Check out yellow-tail congos as well, a little harder to come by, but fantastic looking fish.

Agreed

Best in a large group that has at least a few females, so the males will show off more ;)

I have some yellow tail Congos too, and they are an awesome looking fish :)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

magnosis

Thanks you all for your input. I hadn't noticed they grew that big and will have to pass for that reason :x

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta

angelcraze

I know you have decided against them because of their size, and mine a at least 3"-3 1/2", but to anyone else reading this and considering them, I love congo tetras.  I only have the regular ones, but their colours are amazing with the males having fancy finniage as well edged with white.  I have only 6 in a 37g by themselves, (they never got into the main community tank, my fault, too busy) but I would like to make the group bigger and I find they need a large open swimming space.  (I need to move mine to a bigger tank)  They are spooked easily, but do not hide in plants, are vivacious eaters, and while breeding, the males terrorize the females, following them so closely they can hardly move away from the glass.  They are very fast swimmers, and bring a lot of movement and colour to the tank. 

I find them particularly interesting with their huge scales and visible little teeth along with their iridescent rainbow colours and ornate fins.  I love the look of wolfiewill's tank with the large school of congos.  He mentioned to me once that they need some veggie in their diet and have been known to nibble on plants if they are deprived.  I have had no probs since adding veg to their diet on occasion.

Congo tetras are native to the Zaire River in Africa (obviously given the name) while most smaller tetras in the aquarium hobby are from the Amazon River in South America. Great tetra, if you are looking for something a little tougher than your average tetra, imo!!!   
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!