Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

TANK EMERGENCY!

Started by slick_jing, November 16, 2005, 08:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slick_jing

I was cleaning my tank and I forgot to turn off the heater. THE HEATER cracked and BROKE! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO TO KEEP THE TANK WARM?!

The stores are closed, and I won't be able to get another one till tomorow morning! What do I Do?!?!??!?! plus I live in KINGSTON!

I have a 29g tank. I'm keeeping the filter on SUPER and keeping the two fluorecent lights on. I also made the room 26 degrees.... SUGGESTIONS?! WILL ALL MY FISH DIE?!

Jim

what kind of fish are in the tank?

i would light it with incandesent lights.

aidensmomma2000

If you have any strofoam, tape it around the tank.

Nelson

Do you have a portable heater that you can radiate/blow on the tank wall?  I would also stop any water flow to prevent heat loss and cover the tank with a blanket.  It should be OK till tomorrow.

Jim

I also think it should be ok untill tommorow morning, as in his fish won't die.

93GTCANADA

put as much lamps around the tank lol.

slick_jing

Oh boy...
I'll lower the filter and i'll put a blanket around it. But i don't have a portable heater!

I have a few neons and a few gouramis.

Nelson

Quote from: "slick_jing"Oh boy...
I'll lower the filter and i'll put a blanket around it. But i don't have a portable heater!

I have a few neons and a few gouramis.

Wrap the tank well and your fish will be fine until tomorrow...have a good sleep :wink:

charlie

If you can , raise the temp. a few degrees higher than 26  . then go to your bedroom open the window & close your bedroom door ( assuming your bedroom have a window)  so your bedroom would be a little cooler for you to sleep.
Regards

rockgarden

Neons and gouramis may not be happy at room temperature but don't normally perish at that temperature.  

As others have suggested, wrapping the tank will slow the heat loss.

IF the temperature is a bit low when you wake up after a sound sleep, put a fish bag of warm (not hot) water in the tank and that will slowly raise it a few degrees which should be all that is necessary until stores open and you are able to get a new heater.

Best of luck.

Ron

luvfishies

Neons will be fine at 72, gouramis fine at 75, so don't worry about it, head to PetParadise or SuperPet in Kingston tomorrow.

darkdep

I second the warm bag of water idea...use an empty 2L pop bottle if you don't have a bag handy.

pegasus

Under 72, your fish would just stop eating and could be ok even if the water temperature would drop to 65 for a day or two.

But you want them to stay happy? Raise the temperature of the room and close the door.  :D  :D  :D

slick_jing

Thanks everyone.
Went to buy stuff earlier today!
Everything is GOOD! :D