Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ebay ATO

Started by Parisiot, July 12, 2013, 11:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parisiot

Having some trouble with my float switch(electronic) getting stuck in the on position. Anyone use one of these?

Greatwhite

a picture and/or actual brand/model of your equipment will help.  Sometimes you may get a little crust on the sensor that can be cleaned with hot water if you're feeling ambitious.  If it's especially bad, a weak vinegar solution maybe?

Parisiot

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Level-switches-Liquid-level-sensor-Liquid-level-controller-Plastic-ball-float-sw-/370679045453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564e315d4d&_uhb=1

just one of the el-cheapo float switches from ebay. ive heard of tons of people using them but ive had 2 go bad on me and its really something i dont want to get stuck in the on position if ya know what i mean... ???

Greatwhite

I think that if you are going to use this, you should also have one to shut the power off at a high level -- just in case.  I don't usually trust the cheap solutions.

ramblnpony

Quote from: Greatwhite on July 12, 2013, 02:59:22 PM
I think that if you are going to use this, you should also have one to shut the power off at a high level -- just in case.  I don't usually trust the cheap solutions.

This is one place you don't want to go cheap. Is it really worth risking a flood and possible killing off your tank? I have a friend who has been into reef tanks all his life and he only uses these.....

"Kent float valve"

Greatwhite

I've had a Kent float valve stop working after a while.  There was a seal in the float that cracked, and water half-filled it.  I just replaced it with a new one and haven't had any problems since.. *shrug*

the moral of the story is - always watch your water levels and don't put ALL your trust in equipment.

joeyt66

Quote from: ramblnpony on July 18, 2013, 11:15:47 AM
This is one place you don't want to go cheap. Is it really worth risking a flood and possible killing off your tank? I have a friend who has been into reef tanks all his life and he only uses these.....

"Kent float valve"

I use 2 of these. One works flawlessly but the other one seems to stay in the down/open position. Doesnt float up when the water does. I just  glued a water bottle to it and it does the trick. But they are only a back up. If i forget to turn off the ro unit.

damonbrodie

I have a kent float valve and above that I have a float switch that will close a solenoid if tripped.  The float valve is tied into my controller with the solenoid.  I have the controller set to only open the solenoid for 20 minutes every twice a day which approximately matches me evaporation rate.  All of this minimizes my risk. 

That being said, I've had kent float switches for 10 years and they have never failed me yet.