Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Powerhead size?

Started by magnosis, July 18, 2013, 01:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Hi all,

I want to add one or two powerheads to my 60g tank to improve circulation, but I'm not sure which size.  I think Hydor is the way to go.

I recently acquired some very nice Bolbitis Heudelotii and it was suggested to give it considerable water flow.  CO2 could also benefit from better circulation.

The tank is housing 4-6 of each: tuxedo platties, zebra danios, neon tetras and x-ray tetras.  I'm planning on adding a big school of neon tetras in the near future.  Maaaaaybe bushynose tetras? Whichever I find to school best, keep together and look cool ;)  I believe tetras & danios prefer slow current. I think?

I use 2 canister filters; an Eheim Pro II 2026 (250 gph) and an Eheim Ecco Pro (132 gph).

This gives me a flow of ~380 gph = 6.3x tank volume circulated per hour, if that means anything...

The Pro II return on the back-left corner of the tank through a spray bar near the surface pushing towards the front-center and down a bit. The intakes is near the substrate right below the spray bar). The Ecco return is on the back-right corner, using the default curvy return tube that comes in the package, pushing towards the back-center, horizontally 2" below the surface. Same here: the intake is near the substrate right below the return pipe. 

There is decent current on the left (Pro II) side and mild current on the right side. The middle of the tank is a bit slow and turbulent as current coming from both sides meet near the surface and sinks down, returning to either side as it sinks down. 

CO2 is diffused below the spray bar. Lots of bubbles on the left side and center, almost none on the right side.

What would you recommend, as far as placement of my return pipes, intakes, and addition of powerheads?  I've been thinking of adding 1-2 powerhead but not sure what size to get.  If they could be invisible it would be great lol not looking forward to adding more clutter in the tank...

Shawn84

A picture of the tank and whats in it would help in determine where to place things and how many power head as object block the flow. Also the stronger the current the better the tetras school together.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

magnosis

I'm only halfway done with rescaping the tank, but that's a good point. I should first finish this and deal with the flow once it's in a more definite state.

Thanks for the tip regarding flow vs schooling. I wasn't aware of that :)

wrm130

What's a bushynose tetra? ;)

Elite makes a very small internal filter that sells for 11$.  Makes a decent powerhead for the price.  It also has a cheap adjustable venturi on it....which could possibly be hooked upto your c02 for better distribution.

Dxpert

Have you looked at the eheim surface skimmer?

magnosis

Quote from: wrm130 on July 18, 2013, 08:24:35 PM
What's a bushynose tetra? ;)

LOL did I actually write that? ahaha

Internal filter is too bulky. I want something invisible or the next best thing ;)

lucius

Quote from: Dxpert on July 18, 2013, 11:05:25 PM
Have you looked at the eheim surface skimmer?

Thanks for this.  I need this for my tank.

magnosis

I do have a surface skimmer (but I don't use it currently, as I don't have any issue with surface film)

I fail to understand how this can replace a powerhead and improve water circulation.  In my experience it actually reduces circulation because you get a bit of flow at the top and a little bit in the middle of the tank - instead of sucking more water from the bottom thus generating more current.

?