Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

onion plant not happy

Started by angelcraze, August 17, 2013, 01:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcraze

So, I had this wide leaved onion plant for a year or two, it was growing under LED lighting, then a t5, then I moved it to my 90g with t5 lighting and all the existing leaves are turning yellow at the tips.  The newest leaf seems to have ceased growing, or very slowly.  I cut off the yellow parts and leaves, but the plant is looking sad.  I'll post a pic later.  All the other plants are OK, maybe it just hates to be moved?  I know they like water flow, don't know how much in comparison to the last location it is getting now, I just hope it comes around.

In the pics you can see the parts and leaves I had to cut-off.  Did I plant it correctly?

Has anyone else experienced die-back when moving this type of plant?  Did it recover?  Thanks.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

charlie

Any plant can suffer from transfer shock, some more than others.
If it was me I would not cut the leaves, but rather remove the entire leaf that show signs of die back.
I would also try & get a root tab under that plant.
Question - was the roots long when you removed it ?
Did you replant it with the same length of roots if it was long?
Regards

angelcraze

I think I removed most of roots along with it, maybe some stayed behind.  If I pruned all the leaves showing die back, there would be just one or two, do you think that would be ok? I appreciate the input.

I have it panted in a miracle gro organic base, which I use in my other tanks, I could certainly add a few gravel supplements however, if necessary.

charlie

Quote from: angelcraze on August 18, 2013, 02:21:47 AM
I think I removed most of roots along with it, maybe some stayed behind.  If I pruned all the leaves showing die back, there would be just one or two, do you think that would be ok? I appreciate the input.

I have it panted in a miracle gro organic base, which I use in my other tanks, I could certainly add a few gravel supplements however, if necessary.
Since it`s a bulb plant, chances are removing the bad leaves won`t impact the plant much, in fact it should help it since the plant is not wasting it`s nutrient/energy trying to feed the dying leaves.
I would suggest trimming the roots if they were long when removed, it is said this process aids growth.
Please research my suggestions before taking that route, as I`m not responsible for any negative impact this may cause, That said I have done this several times with good success.
Regards

angelcraze

Thanks, I appreciate your shared experience.  Right.  I wouldn't want the plant to waste it's energy replenishing damaged/dying leaves, and I didn't know that about the roots.

Hey, don't worry, I would never hold you or anyone responsible if something negative would happen. :)

I would research things first, but I do believe you are right, without a doubt, and appreciate your advice.