Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

what`s possible without CO2 & ferts

Started by charlie, September 02, 2013, 01:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I just wanted to share my personal experience on the so called low tech aquarium.
Often I see hobbyist stating they want to do a planted tank but don`t want to deal with all the work- Trimming ,CO2 , Fertiliser etc..
This is my hands on venture with a tank that meets those requirements. The tank is a 15 gallon perfecto tank, that has been running 2 .5 yrs now with no issues and houses Crystal red shrimp from the inception, there is a build thread of this tank, not much has changed since then, well with the exception that the shrimp had slowed down multiplying & now ramping up again , the light & filter, no more Marineland LED light replaced with a Sunlight 24 watt T5 HO strip, filter is now a Eheim ecco 2236   

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=49238.0

The substrate -" Fluval shrimp stratum" is still there, the low light undemanding plants are more or less the same type.
There is no CO 2 or any supplementing  of Macro or micro ferts, just 10% water change per week & a 1/2 tsp of Seachem Equilibrium for the shrimp mostly, never had any algae or plant issues.
Regards

exv152

Again, nice job. I especially like the T5HO hydroponic lights, I picked a few of the sunblaster fixtures (similar to these) not that long ago.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Low tech is actually pretty awesome. I have mostly mosses and low-light plants and had the marineland lights too. Very nice set-up though. Only thing with low-light tanks is that it takes a while to shape up but worth not having to worry about dosing and co2!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!