Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Possible Green Water Cure

Started by darkdep, November 19, 2005, 12:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

So, my 90gal has been bright green since about a week after being stocked (although the filters were mature).  It was so bad I couldn't see more than about an inch or two into the tank.

Big waterchanges didn't help much.  I was planning to try a blackout, when while pruning my planted tank I ended up with a couple small pieces of hornwort that I threw in the 90, figuring that more plants might help absorb nutrients the algae were feeding on.

Ok, it's been TWO days...the green water is just plain GONE.  All gone.  Also, the Hornwort seems to be about 5 times bigger (which can't be possible, but it sure looks it).  

Anyway, don't know if this is coincidence or not, but I remember a few people were having greenwater issues recently...throw in a piece of hornwort and see if it helps.

mseguin

I metnionned it in one of the greenwater threads. The stuff is amazing.

oenology

anybody got some extra hornwort? I'm unvailling my blacked-out tank tomorrow....and I have another one that is on the edge of turning green...

BigDaddy

I have some here Jen, your more than welcome to a bit

darkdep

After some more reading, apparantly hornwort actually excretes substances that are toxic to algae.  That must be why it works so well...

BigDaddy

It does.  That, coupled with its ability to absorb nutrients like a sponge, allows it to out compete green water.

Sometimes, though, you can get a really nasty case of green water where hornwort just doesn't cut the mustard.

darkdep

Well, I'm sold on it...my 90gal looks spotless this morning...I really cannot believe how well it worked.  I can actually get down to taking some pics of my fish today :)

oenology

Quote from: "BigDaddy"I have some here Jen, your more than welcome to a bit
Uncovered the tank this afternoon and still have green water - ugh. So I'd like to take you up on your offer. I had a bunch of it in the pond but it's all dead now.

zapisto

Just a question
Hornwort is it ceratophylum demersum ?

because i am a bit lost :) hehe

mseguin

zapisto

fewwwwwwwwwww
thanks , i was going nuts with that .... :)

mseguin

The ones I keep messing up are pennywort and moneywort.  :roll:
But yes, hornwort is phenomenal.

darkdep

There are more 'wort's?  What's moneywort?  :)