New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best place to start?

Started by Dxpert, November 13, 2013, 07:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxpert

What would be the best source of information for someone just starting a nano salt water setup? What would be the best stocking for the tank?

Nienna

We have a really good nano salt water tank book as part of the library - are you coming to the bowling night?  Jon (OVAS librarian) would be able to bring it there or you could arrange to pick it up.

albertthiel

Quote from: Dxpert on November 13, 2013, 07:27:57 AM
What would be the best source of information for someone just starting a nano salt water setup? What would be the best stocking for the tank?

You may wish to read my recent book published in April of this year and of which the Club has a copy that you can borrow ... that would be a good start as it goes through all the basics and gives you all the options that you can consider for how to set up your tank, but if you have any specific questions feel free to post them here.

Albert

albertthiel

Quote from: Nienna on November 13, 2013, 07:55:15 AM
We have a really good nano salt water tank book as part of the library - are you coming to the bowling night?  Jon (OVAS librarian) would be able to bring it there or you could arrange to pick it up.

Yes that would be a good start as I assume you are referring to my recent book ... and then anyone who has specific questions that they would like more detailed info on they are welcome to post them here and I will do my best to respond in as much detail as possible and in a timely manner.

Albert

Stussi613

Dxpert, there is a great deal of info on stocking suggestions in Albert's book, as well as online at nano-reef.

I set up my reef tank after reading Albert's book, and I must say that I get allot of compliments on it.

The only thing I didn't do was listen to the stocking advice and I have two small clowns in my tank (temporarily until I build my 135G reef).
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 13, 2013, 12:24:10 PM
Dxpert, there is a great deal of info on stocking suggestions in Albert's book, as well as online at nano-reef.

I set up my reef tank after reading Albert's book, and I must say that I get allot of compliments on it.

The only thing I didn't do was listen to the stocking advice and I have two small clowns in my tank (temporarily until I build my 135G reef).

Looking real good and on the clowns ... you are forgiven :) 

I just do not like Clowns in smaller aquariums as you know so good luck with them and keep us posted on how they are doing.

Thanks .... and no worries about having added them ..

Albert

Stussi613

In all seriousness when my big tank is ready I'll be moving these guys into it and re-scaping this tank to be a zoa dominated garden with a mandarin dragonet, if my supplier has one that is proven to eat frozen and capelin roe.

Tanks under 15g are too small for Clowns, even if it's just one.
I haz reef tanks.

Nienna

Quote from: albertthiel on November 13, 2013, 09:16:27 AM
Yes that would be a good start as I assume you are referring to my recent book ... and then anyone who has specific questions that they would like more detailed info on they are welcome to post them here and I will do my best to respond in as much detail as possible and in a timely manner.

Albert
This is what I get for not checking what forum the recent posts are in before posting my thoughts  :-\

My sincere apologies Albert - I did not mean to step on your toes.

Yes I was referring to your book - I'm trying to help promote the library to our members  :)  Thank you for helping the club!

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 13, 2013, 05:12:25 PM
In all seriousness when my big tank is ready I'll be moving these guys into it and re-scaping this tank to be a zoa dominated garden with a mandarin dragonet, if my supplier has one that is proven to eat frozen and capelin roe.

Tanks under 15g are too small for Clowns, even if it's just one.

good idea and that is why I discourage hobbyists from keeping Clownfish in Nanos ... they may be small at first but grow and then decide they want the tank to themselves and start chasing every other fish around.

Oh and on feeding the Mandarin: Brine shrimp Nauplii are great for them as well and they feed on them just about immediately after you put them in your tank but your choices of food are good as well, and of course "pods"

albertthiel

Quote from: Nienna on November 13, 2013, 05:35:59 PM
This is what I get for not checking what forum the recent posts are in before posting my thoughts  :-\

My sincere apologies Albert - I did not mean to step on your toes.

Yes I was referring to your book - I'm trying to help promote the library to our members  :)  Thank you for helping the club!

Yes that is a great idea indeed ... if you have a good set of books in your library, the more members use the available resources you have the better indeed. The more research they do before adding anything to their tank, and the more they know about the life forms they are planning to add or acquire the better ... and the greater the success rates they will have in keeping them.

And glad to help when I can ....

albertthiel

Quote from: Dxpert on November 13, 2013, 07:27:57 AM

Besides my own books (the latest one which the Club has in its Library), I would highly recommend the 3 books by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek. Not sure if your Library has them but I would imagine they do ....

Great  reference of course.

And of info on corals The VERON book is the one to consult if you have access to them (Corals etc ..)

Another good reference would be the book by Brusca and Brusca on Invertebrates, but that is a tad more of a scientific book, but if you are really into researching your corals then the work is a great one  to consult.

I could go on of course as there are so many other books that are full of great information and would recommend that you read Moe, Spotte, Wilkens, Fossa and Nielsen, if any or all of those are available to you. They are not as recent as my last book but do contain lots and lots of valuable information

Hope this helps those who wanted more input

Albert

Herstead

Hi all,

Our Library Holdings are herehttp://www.ovas.ca/ovas/documents/OVAS%20Library.pdf. We only have book one of the Spring and Delbeek series but we also have Neilson's "Reef Secrets" and of course Albert Theil's "Nano Reef Aquariums" from Albert's list of suggestions.

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

albertthiel

Quote from: Herstead on November 17, 2013, 04:24:38 PM
Hi all,

Our Library Holdings are herehttp://www.ovas.ca/ovas/documents/OVAS%20Library.pdf. We only have book one of the Spring and Delbeek series but we also have Neilson's "Reef Secrets" and of course Albert Theil's "Nano Reef Aquariums" from Albert's list of suggestions.

- Jonathan
Thanks for the link and I see you do indeed have a real good choice ....

Two of my earlier  books are actually on the Net ....

Small Reef Aquarium Basics ....  http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/srab/srabtoc.html

And

The Marine Fish and Invert Reef Aquarium  http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/thielbook/thieltoc.html

And can be accessed by  anyone who wishes to read them ...

Albert