Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

lighting question

Started by motoman, November 22, 2005, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoman

Ok I have a question for all the lighting and plant gurus out there.
What are the benefits/deterents of using a bulb that has a less than idea K rating?
Ex: I have a planted tank and should use a bulb that is around 6700K but they are really expensive at LFS and online. Shops in town carry 5000K or maybe 10000K bulbs but nothing around 6500-6700K. If I use a lower or higher K rating what are the effects?

repeej

Phillips Daylight Deluxe bulbs are 6500K.

charlie

motoman

Ok, I didn't realise it was such a non issue. Thanks for the news and information.

motoman

Would a cf bulb with a K rating somewhere around 4000-4100K range have the right colour spikes (blue and red)? Is there a way to tell if a bulb has the required blue and red spikes?

BigDaddy

You would have to DELIBERATELY manufacture a bulb that didn't have ANY red or blue wavelengths.

But to answer your question, at 4,000K, it's a slightly yellow colour, which means you've got red wavelengths influencing the colour of the output.

Unless you have a high light CO2 injected tank, I would start looking at the spectral analysis for your bulbs.  Just buy what looks good over your tank that grows the plants you want to keep.

motoman

Ok well I'm not growing anything too sophisticated. I've yet to break down and go into the high tech CO2 injection field. I just have a DIY system going into my aquaclear on one tank and a homemade reactor on my other tank. Someday I'll take the pressurized system plunge but not just yet. Too many bills to pay off right now. I'm only growing hornwort, pennywort, hygro, some crypts and a bit of dwarf hair grass.
I have a 5000K bulb that I pirated from my other light set and I'd like to get a replacement bulb. I found some cheap ones but they are in the 4100K range and I wasn't sure if that would be good.
Thanks for the help.
Out of curiosity where do you get your cf bulbs? Online, electric store or LFS?

BigDaddy

I usually get mine at Buchannan, simply because they are close to my work.