Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Debate: diatom filter vs UV sterilizer

Started by oenology, November 22, 2005, 10:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oenology

I'm really getting sick of my green water problem and thinking about getting either a diatom filter or a UV sterilizer. However, I've never used either. What are people's experiences with either of these devices? Pros and cons of each.

DARKPHREAK

From Chuck's Planted Aquarium Pages:

Green Water: This is a free-floating form of algae. Normally the result of high light, and VERY high nutrient levels. There are water additives that claim to eliminate or clear up green water problems. Water-polishing filters also will clear the water. But these solutions don't address the original cause of the problem: The excess nutrients. Green water can appear if you have high nitrates, but plant growth is insufficient to reduce the nitrate level. This can happen if you don't have enough fast-growing plants, or if the plants don't have the CO2 needed for fast growth. Extremely high nitrate levels, besides being harmful to the fish, reduce plant growth, and actually increase the amount of CO2 needed by the plants.

Mila

Last spring I was fighting with green water for two months, anything I did just made it worse. Then sumer came with very hot weather and tank overheat to 32.5 C. In three days tank was clean, algea never came back.
I heard (never tryed) about fresh willow sticks in water. It suppose to clean green water when it sprouts (suck all nutriens out)

Mila

DARKPHREAK

use DUCKWEED sucks everything up that you dont want.

darkdep

oenology

Thanks for the replies but none on the original topic! UV vs diatom. Both tanks are cichlid tanks with no plants and very hungry fish!  And Big Daddy where's the hornwort you were offering?

BigDaddy

Pros of UV:

Kills unicellular algae (green water)
Kills protozoans and other parasites
Doesn't clutter up tank
Low maintenance

Cons of UV:

Cost
May oxidize trace elements in fertilizers
Pump required to operate if not using canister filters
Replacement bulb costly

Pros of diatom filter

Excellent water polisher
Cheap media

Cons of diatom filter

Carcinogenic
Powder must be replaced often

zapisto

and BG you forgot for the cons of diatom filter , put a high level of sillicate in the water.
if you have fish sensible to that , avoid it.