Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shhhhh!! (altums)

Started by manytanks, November 23, 2005, 01:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manytanks

Dunno if this supposed to be a little secret, but Andrew of Kanata's BA store confirms that in a couple of weeks they'll be getting a shipment of about ~30 baby altum angels. As many of you already know, altums are wild-caught angels with both distinctive colouring and very distinctive personalities (see my avatar for pic). A responsible store will quarantine them for a couple to several months against parasites, ensure they're accepting non-wild food, etc. before selling them. BA follows this procedure, and successfully sold off a previous batch within the past 4-6 months or so but I missed that one and have no idea how much they sold for.

One of the staff there has a private tank that still has 5 of the little ones, if you want to have a look. Altums are generally quite a prize, since despite easy success in breeding domestic angels, there are very, very few reports of similar success with altums - and many of those are suspect. We have three adults from the Barrhaven SP (thanks, Steve!) that we picked up two years ago; they cost $40 each and are thriving, and we maintain they're something very special in a freshwater tank.

I might have to resign myself to setting up another tank just for these, if I can get some...