Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New dual stage regulator

Started by exv152, February 11, 2014, 09:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

I just wanted to share this with the folks interested in high tech planted tank equipment. I decided to take the next step in CO2 with a dual stage regulator purchase. I got a great deal on a Concoa regulator 312 series dual stage regulator. Here are a few pics of what I'm planning:

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Ooooh.. lets get this thread going! Where is this going? Which tank?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 12, 2014, 01:09:16 AM
Ooooh.. lets get this thread going! Where is this going? Which tank?
Rah are you excited ;D
Nice find Eric, I`m not sold on those fittings, I maybe wrong but I think the ones from PA are galvanised(coated) steel .
They are some chrome plated brass fittings on e bay, the down side they are about 5.00 a pop.
Errol

exv152

Thanks guys. I got this for a song and dance, new. You'd be surprised what you can get things for on evilbay when you bid low.

The plan here is to get a stainless steal bürkert 6011 solenoid, and add it to a new tank I got over the holidays - a 33 gallon starfire cube. But I'm still in the process of building the stand, and looking for lighting.

Errol, do you think, if the fittings are galvanized, they would have an effect on the water chemistry through the co2? If so, I'll have to rethink this part.  
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

I don`t think it`s possible to affect the water chemistry, but what I read, it may have some reaction between the te 2 alloys creating  binding issues,.perhaps one of  our engineering hobbyist can elaborate.
Errol

Dxpert

Great find! How much? Have you ever had problems with a single stage dumping on you? Is the main advantage the protection from dumping or the consistency of the bubble rate?

Mike L

Plumbing 101. When 2 dissimilar metals touch it results in galvanic corrosion. This can be prevented by using cpvc fittings between the metals which will break the electrical path between the metals. I also heard there might be a paste available that would prevent that but I have never used or seen.
MIke 

exv152

Quote from: charlie on February 12, 2014, 09:50:21 AMI don`t think it`s possible to affect the water chemistry, but what I read, it may have some reaction between the te 2 alloys creating  binding issues,.perhaps one of  our engineering hobbyist can elaborate.
Errol

I see. Thanks Errol, I'm gonna have to look into that. I'm gonna ask at PA too to be sure it's not galvanized.

Quote from: Dxpert on February 12, 2014, 10:01:20 AMGreat find! How much? Have you ever had problems with a single stage dumping on you? Is the main advantage the protection from dumping or the consistency of the bubble rate?

Thanks Mike. I paid $80 for a regulator that retails for $375 on one site I saw in the US. I did have an issue with a beginning of an EOTD. Fortunately I caught it just in time to save my fish. Since then I've put a pH controller on that tank, and purchased this dual stage for another tank.

Quote from: Mike L on February 12, 2014, 11:00:57 AMPlumbing 101. When 2 dissimilar metals touch it results in galvanic corrosion. This can be prevented by using cpvc fittings between the metals which will break the electrical path between the metals. I also heard there might be a paste available that would prevent that but I have never used or seen.
MIke

Thanks. I read that galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte, but hopefully an extra couple of layers of Teflon tape will create a good enough barrier.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on February 12, 2014, 09:38:33 AM
The plan here is to get a stainless steal bürkert 6011 solenoid, and add it to a new tank I got over the holidays - a 33 gallon starfire cube. But I'm still in the process of building the stand, and looking for lighting.

Nice! New tank!! What are the plans for it? I'm thinking a starfire tank this summer too. A big boy set up this time round :p Where did you get yours from? Sweet regulator find!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Mike L

Would there not be any condensation created from the compressed co2. I have found this article. Hope it helps.
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Expert-Advice/Articles/CO2-Freeze-Up.aspx

exv152

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 12, 2014, 10:42:53 PM
Nice! New tank!! What are the plans for it? I'm thinking a starfire tank this summer too. A big boy set up this time round :p Where did you get yours from? Sweet regulator find!

I got mine from AI, it's a 50x50x50cm cube, and I'm planning an iwagumi.  ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

exv152

Quote from: Mike L on February 13, 2014, 10:48:59 AM
Would there not be any condensation created from the compressed co2. I have found this article. Hope it helps.
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Expert-Advice/Articles/CO2-Freeze-Up.aspx

Thanks for posting, interesting article.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

I had the chance to see this regulator in person & was immediately impressed with the compact size of it as far as 2 stage regulators go.
any update pictures Eric?
Regards
As a side note some folks on a couple of forums actually put more pride & joy into their DIY co2 regulator than their planted tanks, proud to say on this side of the border, we value both.

exv152

Quote from: charlie on May 01, 2014, 12:26:10 PM
I had the chance to see this regulator in person & was immediately impressed with the compact size of it as far as 2 stage regulators go.
any update pictures Eric?
Regards
As a side note some folks on a couple of forums actually put more pride & joy into their DIY co2 regulator than their planted tanks, proud to say on this side of the border, we value both.

No updates yet, the tank for this reg is still going through some DS pains (ie mold). As for the regs, I think it's just you, myself and Rah with dual stages here. It's fun having a hobby within a hobby...
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g