Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

jabeo wp-25 or wp-40

Started by Darth, February 15, 2014, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

Dang.. That would solve my problems of too much flow over my substrate... SO I just ordered the new "Twin controller" with the new power supply.  8)

Salt

I will be getting back my loaner from Wokki soon so perhaps he'll share his opinions on the wp40 with power converter.

Cheers ;)

Wooki

Quote from: Salt on February 25, 2014, 12:35:50 PM
I will be getting back my loaner from Wokki soon so perhaps he'll share his opinions on the wp40 with power converter.

Cheers ;)

Hi all,

I think the pump is great.  However, I'm not using the lower power converter as I have a 180 and it gives good flow for that sized tank.  I'll note for each wave setting there are three power settings (I think 100%, 75%, 50%).  If you have a smaller tank, I would suggest thinking about getting the WP25 - although it is almost the same price, I would imagine it is much smaller.  The WP40 does take up a lot of space in the tank.
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

Stussi613

Quote from: Wooki on February 25, 2014, 01:56:50 PM
Hi all,

I think the pump is great.  However, I'm not using the lower power converter as I have a 180 and it gives good flow for that sized tank.  I'll note for each wave setting there are three power settings (I think 100%, 75%, 50%).  If you have a smaller tank, I would suggest thinking about getting the WP25 - although it is almost the same price, I would imagine it is much smaller.  The WP40 does take up a lot of space in the tank.

I'm in the middle of ordering a few of the WP-40's through a group order on Facebook, I have a 6 foot 135G tank (72lx18dx24h) do you think these would be too big considering I'm using corner overflows?
I haz reef tanks.

Darth

so you think for my 56 I should go with a wp-25, there is like a $10 difference, so I was thinking of getting the wp-40

Wooki

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 25, 2014, 06:05:59 PM
I'm in the middle of ordering a few of the WP-40's through a group order on Facebook, I have a 6 foot 135G tank (72lx18dx24h) do you think these would be too big considering I'm using corner overflows?

My tank is 5 feet and 30" high.  So I don't think the WP-40 would be too much for such a tank.

180g mixed reef,
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

Wooki

Quote from: Darth on February 26, 2014, 07:46:54 AM
so you think for my 56 I should go with a wp-25, there is like a $10 difference, so I was thinking of getting the wp-40

Darth,  I definitely think the wp-40 would be too much flow.  It is almost too much flow for my 180.  It is also huge so it would take up a lot of space in a 56.  Check out the image below:

180g mixed reef,

Salt

For those of you interested in ordering items from fish-street, as I have in the past use the code fishstreet for an extra 5% off your purchase. 

Also google search 'fishstreet coupons' and you may find some active redeemable codes as well  : P

Greatwhite

I got my twin controller today... My only complaint so far is that the light sensor is built in - and it's front facing.  I liked the little sensor hanging out the side of the controller because I was able to "hide" the controller a little and direct the sensor at the tank.  Now I stuck the new controller to the wall beside my tank, facing it to sense the lights...

We'll see how this works....  I wasn't "unhappy" with how it was with 2 controllers.  I kind of assume that a twin controller will control the 2 pumps together with better synchronization.

Greatwhite

Oh ya - and they sent me the funny european power cable.  Fortunately I had a spare power cable that fit in the power adapter...  Not sure it's worth the effort to argue with them to send me a proper cable. :)

Stussi613

I ordered the double controller too, but I might just opt to make the 10v diy cable for my Apex controller instead of mounting the Jeabo one to my wall  ???
I haz reef tanks.

Darth

so I got my pump last week, couldn't wait to come home and try it, plugged it in, and its awesome, excepted that it shuts off every few minutes, it runs for a few minutes, then shuts off for the same amount of time anyone else have this issue??

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on March 14, 2014, 05:02:29 PM
I ordered the double controller too, but I might just opt to make the 10v diy cable for my Apex controller instead of mounting the Jeabo one to my wall  ???

Yeah, I don't know exactly what they were thinking, building in the light sensor to the front of the controller - even slightly recessed there.

I TRIED it on the side of my stand alongside the single controller, but there was not enough ambient light to trigger it.  They show it in a diagram, stuck to the front of a tank, but again, I don't know who'd ever want that, and how the sensor is supposed to work facing away from the tank.

I have my tank in my office, and needed to put the controller somewhere so that it would not be affected by my overhead lights.  It is in a shadow, out of the way, that is pretty well lit when my tank is lit up.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Darth on March 14, 2014, 09:26:33 PM
so I got my pump last week, couldn't wait to come home and try it, plugged it in, and its awesome, excepted that it shuts off every few minutes, it runs for a few minutes, then shuts off for the same amount of time anyone else have this issue??

My double controller seems to have a little bit of a flaky connection with the power adapter.  As long as it's not moving, it was fine.  But if I moved slightly, the power would turn off.

It may turning off if you're running it dry...?  I'm not sure if these things are high tech enough to have temperature sensors in the pump, but I do know that they should only be run under water.

Darth

so it turns out the pumps are awesome, its me who is an idiot, apparently if you plug them power cord into a wavemaker power bar, the power goes on and off LOL , so moved the outlet and it works fine LOL

Greatwhite

Stussi613

So it looks like the cable required to convert these to be used on an Apex controller comes from Reef Angel and you have to splice in an RJ45 to use the V1/V2 or V3/V4 ports on the Apex to control the pumps.  Anybody know if there's a way to get a couple of 3 pin cables like this locally, or on Ebay?  The guys at Reef Angel are obviously making good coin on them at $25 a cable and I'm just not sure what it would be called to search it on Ebay, or something like that....

I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

If you are not going to use the Jabeo controller, and have no plans to ever use it - you can just cut the cable on the controller side and use it.  (because, of course, it'd be destroyed)

I'm not sure you'll be able to find anything that would plug into the 3 pin plugs around here.  Maybe bring it into a Source store? (aka - Radioshack)  They may have -- something...?

Stussi613

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 25, 2014, 03:27:45 PM
If you are not going to use the Jabeo controller, and have no plans to ever use it - you can just cut the cable on the controller side and use it.  (because, of course, it'd be destroyed)

I'm not sure you'll be able to find anything that would plug into the 3 pin plugs around here.  Maybe bring it into a Source store? (aka - Radioshack)  They may have -- something...?

I ordered 3 pumps with 1 controller.  I was thinking of using one of the WP-25's in my 15g nano with the controller and then using the Apex to control the two WP-25's that are going into the 125G tank...but I might end up putting all three of them into 125g since I think the WP-25 will be destructively strong on the 15g tank. 

Regardless I'd like to control them all using the Apex which is totally doable since I won't be using the Variable speed outlets for my lights (I'm using GHL's on this tank so I'll program them to run on their own without controlling them with the Apex).
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

I just had a moment of inspiration.... Check places that sell marine electric supplies.  Marinas, etc.  Not sure if you would find a connector that would fit the Jabeo, but you could probably find a male and female that will match up.