Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

apisto mates

Started by motoman, November 24, 2005, 10:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoman

Ok I have the option of buying a male apisto cac. (orange flash I believe) but there isn't a female to go with him. If I were to buy this fish and then get a female later what are the chances of them pairing up nicely? Do they usually sort themselves out and then people buy the pair at the same time or do they get along and breed with any other apisto cac? I don't know much about breeding fish but I'd hate to have two apisto that don't get along.
Any advice?

gvv

Let's say, the best way is usually to get male/female from different sources in order to mix blood...

Mettle

They're also harem builders. Males do not exclusively pair off.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Mettle"They're also harem builders. Males do not exclusively pair off.

Sometimes they do.  I have 4 borellii in a 33 gallon, and they are definately 2 pairs.  The females don't let the other male get anywhere near them (probably because the are always breeding!)

motoman

So then I'd be fine to get the male now and introduce a female later? I only have a 20 gal tank for them, well that's not exactly true I have a 30 gal too. What do I do if they don't get along when I introduce the female? Is there a chance of that? I guess I shouldn't worry too much since they are supposed to be mild mannered right?

mseguin

As far as I've seen cacs pair. I may be wrong, but I think its some of the samller species like trifasciata that are harem breeders, although I'm sure there's soem variation in all of them.