Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Foam under a rimless tank

Started by George2, February 22, 2014, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George2

Hi,

I just got a new rimless tank and am wondering what kind of foam I need to put under it. How thick should it be? Is there something I can purchase at Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc? My other rimless tank came with a 1/8" thick piece of black, dense foam but my new one did not come with anything.

My tank is 20"(L) x 11.5"(W) x 14"(H).

Thanks,
George

exv152

I found some  tool chest drawer liner at CT that worked well for my 25g rimless. It doesn't have to be too thick, just need enough to prevent pressure points.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Littorina

I'm looking at purchasing my first rimless nanotank soon.  Do they HAVE to have foam padding underneath them?  Advice would be great!

Stussi613

Quote from: Littorina on February 22, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I'm looking at purchasing my first rimless nanotank soon.  Do they HAVE to have foam padding underneath them?  Advice would be great!

If the tank doesn't have bottom trim, or feet (like the CADLights tanks do) then people usually put foam under them. 
I haz reef tanks.

Littorina

Ok, so the CAD is fine as is.  Thanks!  :-) 

Stussi613

Quote from: Littorina on February 22, 2014, 03:36:00 PM
Ok, so the CAD is fine as is.  Thanks!  :-) 

Have you decided yet?
I haz reef tanks.

George2

Quote from: exv152 on February 22, 2014, 12:34:48 PM
I found some  tool chest drawer liner at CT that worked well for my 25g rimless. It doesn't have to be too thick, just need enough to prevent pressure points.

I'll check out Canadian Tire tomorrow. Thanks.

sas

Thank you George2 for getting back to us in this thread :).
Here's a thread that I came up with by using our search here.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=22639.msg157043#msg157043

Read babblefish1960's reply(3rd post).

George2

Quote from: sas on February 22, 2014, 08:40:09 PM
Thank you George2 for getting back to us in this thread :).
Here's a thread that I came up with by using our search here.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=22639.msg157043#msg157043

Read babblefish1960's reply(3rd post).

Thanks for a link to that thread. It was a very interesting read. One thing I am not sure about, though, is the thickness. babblefish1960 mentioned that any thickness would work but uses 1", 5/8" and 1/2" thick. That seems really thick. I guess it all depends on how big the aquarium is and how much it weighs.

exv152

Quote from: George2 on February 22, 2014, 10:58:37 PM
Thanks for a link to that thread. It was a very interesting read. One thing I am not sure about, though, is the thickness. babblefish1960 mentioned that any thickness would work but uses 1", 5/8" and 1/2" thick. That seems really thick. I guess it all depends on how big the aquarium is and how much it weighs.

ADA, a world leader in starfire rimless tanks, makes mats that vary from 5mm to 8mm depending on the size of the tank. And the largest tank they make is just over 150 gallons. So it doesn't have to be that thick. A thickness of half a cm to one cm will do. You're just looking for something that will avoid pressure points. You can also use Styrofoam, or a yoga exercise mat.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

George2

Mothali

I'm a carpenter by trade and I have made many custom stands and hoods for clients. I tend to inlay a cork base on top of the stand. Cost effective and deals with water/splashes well, also aesthetically pleasing. Cork can be purchased in 4 or eight foot lengths and various widths. I also believe you can buy it as 12*12 floor tiles.

My 2 cents,
Mark

Stussi613

I was at Lowes today getting pvc fittings to finish my plumbing for my sump on my 120g tank and I came across this to put under my rimless 48lx20dx15h sump that sits on plywood on the bottom of the stand.  The roll is 118lx22.5d and is probably 1/8th thick, but spongy.   

It's perfect for this application, in my opinion.

I haz reef tanks.