Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Nitrate test

Started by zolta, April 21, 2014, 03:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zolta

I recently bought a Seachem nitrate test kit and I am finding it difficult to determine the outcome.  I find the colour difficult to read in the 3 to 15 mg/l area.  It all looks the same to me.  I guess I am getting old and colour blind.  Has anyone have experience with a different test kit where the colour change is more pronounced?  Thanks in advance.
65 gal tall planted

wolfiewill

I have trouble with this test too. I find an overhead, blue-white flourescent light and I take my glasses off and get real close with both in my field of vision is the only way. I've never tried the API test kit though. Perhaps someone else has tried it?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Greatwhite

I find holding white paper behind the test tubes helps a lot. But yeah - it's not a big variation in the color to get an "exact" reading.

I hate doing water tests... At least testing my pool water just uses a simple test strip. :)

exv152

I've tried hagen nutrafin, API and seachem, and prefer the API kit even though anything over 20ppm is similar in colour hue.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on April 22, 2014, 08:35:33 PM
I've tried hagen nutrafin, API and seachem, and prefer the API kit even though anything over 20ppm is similar in colour hue.

Yes, that's what I find with the Seachem test kit. But I'm targeting 10 ppm, so I really don't need to really know how much above target the result is, only that it is above. And when it is, I do a water change. And there's the advantage of PPS, eh. So I suppose it's a qualitative test for me, not a quantitative one. See, there are advantages to being lazy!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

zolta

Thanks for the input guys,

With the Seachem, for me, the little palette used is what i have discovered difficult.  I will try Greg's method though.  To bad Hanna does not make a nitrate test.  Perhaps when he Seachem runs out, I'll try a different brand. 
65 gal tall planted

wolfiewill

Quote from: zolta on April 23, 2014, 08:15:41 AM
Thanks for the input guys,

With the Seachem, for me, the little palette used is what i have discovered difficult.  I will try Greg's method though.  To bad Hanna does not make a nitrate test.  Perhaps when he Seachem runs out, I'll try a different brand. 

I'm actually in the process of finding a more precise NO3 test kit but have only given it one attempt. Still, if anyone has an accurate one I'd appreciate knowing about it. I have a Hanna phosphate kit and they are terrific, but not cheap.

exv152

Have you tried the salifert nitrate test? Not sure if it's just for sw, but the colour chart is more detailed. I think David has them.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Ron

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 23, 2014, 07:36:17 PM
I'm actually in the process of finding a more precise NO3 test kit but have only given it one attempt. Still, if anyone has an accurate one I'd appreciate knowing about it. I have a Hanna phosphate kit and they are terrific, but not cheap.

I think I've tried just about every kit out there over the years, and settled on the ones from LaMotte. These aren't cheap either, but they work!

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on April 24, 2014, 07:25:17 AM
Have you tried the salifert nitrate test? Not sure if it's just for sw, but the colour chart is more detailed. I think David has them.

Salifert is for salt water only.

wolfiewill

Quote from: Ron on May 03, 2014, 12:58:56 PM
I think I've tried just about every kit out there over the years, and settled on the ones from LaMotte. These aren't cheap either, but they work!

Yes, I like the LaMotte test kit for phosphate, but the one I found online has a limit of 10 ppm. Does LaMotte have one for slightly higher levels? I would prefer the range of the Seachem kit, 0 to 40 or 50. At the moment the Seachem is reasonably good for the 1 to 20. As Zolta said, beyond 20 ppm it is very hard to differentiate.

Ron

Quote from: wolfiewill on May 04, 2014, 07:20:46 AM
Yes, I like the LaMotte test kit for phosphate, but the one I found online has a limit of 10 ppm. Does LaMotte have one for slightly higher levels? I would prefer the range of the Seachem kit, 0 to 40 or 50. At the moment the Seachem is reasonably good for the 1 to 20. As Zolta said, beyond 20 ppm it is very hard to differentiate.

If you are trying to measure levels higher than the top range of the kit, you can always cut your sample water by half (or two thirds or four fifths) with distilled water, then multiply your result by two (or three or five). You just have to be confident of the quality of your distilled dilutant.

wolfiewill

Quote from: Ron on May 04, 2014, 02:00:49 PM
If you are trying to measure levels higher than the top range of the kit, you can always cut your sample water by half (or two thirds or four fifths) with distilled water, then multiply your result by two (or three or five). You just have to be confident of the quality of your distilled dilutant.

Yah, I hadn't thought of that. Good idea!